Connecting apartment ethernet jacks

May 28, 2018
I just moved into a brand new apartment complex and noticed that I have 3 separate coax+ethernet outlets around the apartment. My modem is in the office and the current set-up is coax->modem->router->computer in one room but I want to run a hard line network connection to my xbox due to poor wifi signal. There's an ethernet outlet right next to the xbox but nothing happens when I connect it with an ethernet cable.

I went to the utility closet and this is what I found:
psUbxsh

https://imgur.com/a/psUbxsh

From what I can tell I have a splitter for the coax cables that go to each of the 3 coax outlets around the apartment and there are a bunch of ethernet cables with the male ends missing. Is there a way for me to get the ethernet ports working?

Solution
Sorry I wrote that post at roughly the same time you responded. I think you already suggested this but I want to make sure I understand exactly what you wrote. So I have 3 ethernet/coax wall outlets in my apartment. One of your suggestions was that I connect my modem to coax wall outlet #1 and connect my router to that modem and then connect my router to ethernet wall outlet #1 and find the corresponding ethernet cable in the utility closet and connect that to a network switch to serve as the "source" and connect ethernet wall outlets #2+3 to that switch. I would then be able to connect an xbox or computer to ethernet wall outlets 2 and 3.

Yes. IOW, all you're using the junction box for is to place all those ethernet cables on a...
Most likely yes. Obviously you'll want a switch and router in that same box. But beware. Many times these same ethernet cables terminate w/ phone jacks (rj11), not networking (rj45). Ran into this w/ my own new home recently. Not that you can't replace it w/ rj45, but just something to look out for.

May 28, 2018

So around the apartment there are ethernet/phone line outlets so I'm fairly certain that's where those cables go. The number of cables in the utility closet line up with the outlets around the apartment.

May 28, 2018

I'm pretty inexperienced with networking so how would that set-up work? Would I connect a coax cable to the splitter at the top of the picture and go splitter->coax->modem->ethernet->router->all of those ethernet cables that are missing the male piece? Where does the switch connected?

USAFRet

Titan

So...
your router in that utility closet, or a switch there which connects to the router wherever it is.
Discover which line goes to which room.

Assuming they are terminated correctly, it should work.
(big assumption)

Nice thing is, that box has plenty of space.

If your internet access is coming off the same coax as in the box, it only make senses to install/mount your modem there, then patch it to your router in the same box. Finally, terminate all (or whichever ones you need) the ethernet cables in that box w/ rj45 and plug them into the router's switch.

Of course, you need to check the other end of those ethernet cables to make sure they do terminate w/ rj45. If not, you'll need to replace them as well.

If your router has wireless, it would also make more sense to disable it (since it will not produce the best signal locked away in that box) and drop standalone APs off the wall-mounted ethernet ports around the apartment.

Please beware, I'm using the "poor man's" approach here using simple, consumer grade equipment, just to keep things simple and inexpensive. If this was done professionally, they surely would install a patch panel, wired only router, separate switch, etc.

P.S. Yes, you can just use one of the available split ports for the modem.

I should add, another way to approach this would be to only install a simple switch in the junction box and patch all your ethernet cables to it. Then install your modem and router normally, in some other room, using an available coax outlet. Finally, run a ethernet cable from a LAN port on the router's switch to a nearby ethernet port on the wall.

IOW, you don't *have* to have the modem and router in that junction box. It does make for a cleaner, more typical installation, but from a purely technical standpoint, the only thing you *must* have in the junction box is a switch, so you can create a common LAN throughout the apartment. And once you have that established, you can actually place the modem and router anywhere you like.

May 28, 2018

Okay, I think I'm starting to get a handle on how this works. So I think my ideal situation would be:
Put the modem in the utility closet. I would do that by going splitter->coax->modem.

Then I would connect the modem to a network switch. Assuming the ethernet cables that are in there without the male ends are connected to the ethernet outlets around the apartment I would need to attach male pieces to the end of the ethernet cables and I would attach those to the switch. Then I would be free to hook up a computer, xbox, and a router to each of the 3 ethernet outlets around the apartment. Does this sound right?

I also have sort of a silly question. How would I power the modem? There aren't any electrical outlets in that closet.

I also have a conceptual question that is potentially really dumb. What if I had a coax->modem->ethernet->router set up away from the utility closet and I put an ethernet cable into the output portion of the router and put the other end of that ethernet cable into the wall ethernet outlet. And if I were able to find the corresponding ethernet cable (let's call this one cable A) in the utility closet and spliced that cable with another ethernet cable in the utility closet (cable B). If I then found cable B's corresponding ethernet wall outlet and connected an xbox to it would that essentially just be one really long ethernet cable from the router to the xbox? Does that question make sense?

USAFRet

Titan
In that utility closet where all the room cables meet...you need the router and/or a switch.
How many cables are terminated in that closet?
If more than 4, you need a switch.

What is the actual device the ISP giving you?
A "modem", or more common...a modem/router?

And a switch in that utility closet will need power, from somewhere.

May 28, 2018

I have my own separate modem and router that I own rather than renting from Comcast. I'll copy something I wrote in a reply to someone else because I think I'm starting to get a grasp on how this would work.

I think my ideal situation would be:
Put the modem in the utility closet. I would do that by going splitter->coax->modem.

Then I would connect the modem to a network switch. Assuming the ethernet cables that are in there without the male ends are connected to the ethernet outlets around the apartment I would need to attach male pieces to the end of the ethernet cables and I would attach those to the switch. Then I would be free to hook up a computer, xbox, and a router to each of the 3 ethernet outlets around the apartment. Does this sound right?

May 28, 2018

Okay, so in this scenario I still want decent wifi in the apartment and eibgrad mentioned in another response that wifi signal would be hurt by placing the router in the utility closet.

So would it go modem->router->switch->room cables->xbox,computer,router?

You might find the following helpful.

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-wire-your-house-with-cat5-or-cat6-ethernet-cable-480020760

There are plenty of other resources as well. This is a common thing, so don't depend on just what's stated here. You want to be sure you properly wire your ethernet cables as well.

Okay, I think I'm starting to get a handle on how this works. So I think my ideal situation would be:

Yes. But please read my previous post for other options.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3713735/connecting-apartment-ethernet-jacks.html#21007605

Then I would connect the modem to a network switch.

No. The modem must *always* be connected to your router.

Assuming the ethernet cables that are in there without the male ends are connected to the ethernet outlets around the apartment I would need to attach male pieces to the end of the ethernet cables and I would attach those to the switch. Then I would be free to hook up a computer, xbox, and a router to each of the 3 ethernet outlets around the apartment. Does this sound right?

Yes.

I also have sort of a silly question. How would I power the modem? There aren't any electrical outlets in that closet.

What's that at the bottom of the box? Looks like a power adapter to me. If so, that probably can be split as well.

I also have a conceptual question that is potentially really dumb. What if I had a coax->modem->ethernet->router set up away from the utility closet and I put an ethernet cable into the output portion of the router and put the other end of that ethernet cable into the wall ethernet outlet. And if I were able to find the corresponding ethernet cable (let's call this one cable A) in the utility closet and spliced that cable with another ethernet cable in the utility closet (cable B). If I then found cable B's corresponding ethernet wall outlet and connected an xbox to it would that essentially just be one really long ethernet cable from the router to the xbox? Does that question make sense?

This is essentially what I'm recommending in my prior post! Only I suggested a switch. But I suppose if you wanted a powerless solution, and only needed a connection between two rooms, connecting the two rooms together w/ an rj45-to-rj45 connector would solve that problem.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3713735/connecting-apartment-ethernet-jacks.html#21007605

USAFRet

Titan

Depending on the size and construction of the apartment, the the router being in the utility closet may or may not have an impact.
If it does, then at the end points, you need Access Points, or routers dumbed down to be access points.

You'll have to test things and see how it works.

If you do need to create other access points and want to use routers, this: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/36406-43-convert-wireless-router-wireless-access-point

Or, dedicated access points. Like something in the Ubiquiti line.

May 28, 2018

Sorry I wrote that post at roughly the same time you responded. I think you already suggested this but I want to make sure I understand exactly what you wrote. So I have 3 ethernet/coax wall outlets in my apartment. One of your suggestions was that I connect my modem to coax wall outlet #1 and connect my router to that modem and then connect my router to ethernet wall outlet #1 and find the corresponding ethernet cable in the utility closet and connect that to a network switch to serve as the "source" and connect ethernet wall outlets #2+3 to that switch. I would then be able to connect an xbox or computer to ethernet wall outlets 2 and 3.

May 28, 2018

Okay, instead of using multiple routers could I just do this? So I have 3 ethernet/coax wall outlets in my apartment. I could connect my modem to coax wall outlet #1 and connect my router to that modem and then connect my router to ethernet wall outlet #1 and find the corresponding ethernet cable in the utility closet and connect that to a network switch to serve as the "source" and connect ethernet wall outlets #2+3 to that switch. I would then be able to connect an xbox or computer to ethernet wall outlets 2 and 3.

USAFRet

Titan

Yes.

ISP->modem->router->switch->devices.
It mostly does not matter where they are, as long as there is an actual cable between each, and each device has access to wall power.

Yes. IOW, all you're using the junction box for is to place all those ethernet cables on a common switch. At that point, you can place your modem and router *anywhere* you like. Doesn't *have* to be in the junction box. Then just patch the switch on your router to one of the ethernet ports on the wall. That provides access to the router over ethernet to every other room in the apartment coming off the switch in the junction box.

In the case of not have powering in the junction box (since even a simple switch will require power), you *could* run establish a *single* ethernet connection between your router's switch and one of the other rooms using a simple rj45-to-rj45 connector (essentially, a splice). But obviously I would prefer to see a switch in the junction box instead, since it gives you the flexibility to connect *all* the rooms together. But in a pinch, w/ no power in that box, an rj45 connector/spice will do the job, at least for that one connection.

Solution