[SOLVED] Connecting both Wi-Fi router and Ethernet cable to GPON Terminal.

PatheticGamer

Honorable
Feb 27, 2016
Hello everyone, I'm trying to connect both a Wi-Fi router and PC to ISP's GPON Terminal(Huawei EchoLife HG8240). The problem is, when I connect just one cable through LAN port (For example from Terminal to the Wi-Fi router), then the connection is fine. As soon as I connect both cables to the GPON, there is no connection on both cables. I would like to run separate cables from the Terminal, rather than one cable to WI-Fi router, to which the PC is connected with another cable. Terminal has got 4 LAN ports.

Solution
There are so many submodels of the echolife line I get confused.

They seem to sell devices that are ONT type modems only with no router function but they still have multiple Ethernet ports.

So the ONT converts the fiber to ethernet but it does not solve the issue that the ISP will only give you 1 IP address. Maybe they have a way to pay extra to get multiple IP addresses and you could then use that same ONT.

So your problem is not really technology it is more the ISP is only giving you 1 IP address. This is why you must have a router its primary function in a home install is to share that 1 IP with multiple devices.

Modern home routers even extremely inexpensive ones can pass 1gbit of traffic WAN/LAN so you will not see any...
There are so many submodels of the echolife line I get confused.

They seem to sell devices that are ONT type modems only with no router function but they still have multiple Ethernet ports.

So the ONT converts the fiber to ethernet but it does not solve the issue that the ISP will only give you 1 IP address. Maybe they have a way to pay extra to get multiple IP addresses and you could then use that same ONT.

So your problem is not really technology it is more the ISP is only giving you 1 IP address. This is why you must have a router its primary function in a home install is to share that 1 IP with multiple devices.

Modern home routers even extremely inexpensive ones can pass 1gbit of traffic WAN/LAN so you will not see any advantage hooking directly to the ONT.

You need to cable it ONT---router---pc

Solution
That magic number of the box is for wifi..which is not really true anyway.

Routers either have 100mbps or 1gbps ethernet ports. As long as your router has gigabit wan and lan ports it will run 1gbit no matter what wifi number is on the box. This is also true if it has 100mbps. It will only run to 100mbps wan/lan. They might still make routers with 100mbps ports that have numbers like 1200 or 1450 on the box.
Kinda shows that the manufactures know the wifi numbers are a lie.