Question Connecting case fan controller to the MB melted a wire?

veronika0benesova

Prominent
Dec 6, 2017
Hey. Yesterday I ordered three 12V Evolveo C1 rgb case fans and a controller. However, what I didn't notice is that the online store accidentaly sent me 5V fans (since the packing was exactly the same I simply didn't realize...).

I plugged the fans to the controller and the controller to the molex and the motherboard (MSI x370). Once I turned on my computer, I smelled something weird and realized that the wire to the MB is melted completely. I turned off the computer and PS, unplugged the wire to the MB and when I turned on the computer again with the melted wire removed everything worked fine - no visible damage, both fans and computer worked simply being connected to the controller through the molex. I guess this was caused by the fans being "only" 5V" while I needed 12V fans, right?

So, I'd like to ask - I still have the fans connected and they work fine. Is there anything that could happen or any risks? Or should I use my old fans instead? Since I'm not an expert, I don't want my PC to burn completely or anything.

Thanks in advance. :) Veronika.

Last edited:

veronika0benesova

Prominent
Dec 6, 2017
The rgb header packs 3amps so not surprising it fried a 5v fan way overpowered it there is a risk of dmg if sets on fire looks like you were lucky the first time.

Don't put pwm fans on the rgb header either!

Thanks for the reply. The fans aren't connected to the mobo at all right now. Just the PSU throught the molex with this: http://www.evolveo.com/ch/rgb-contr-c1 .

So my question is can they stay connected like this with no risks?