[SOLVED] Connecting case fans to Corsair H115i fan controller ?

Platinum_Gamer

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2012
I wish to connect my 3 Pure Wings 2 fans (3pin voltage controlled) using my Silent Base 802's PWM fan hub into my Corsair H115i RGB PRO XT AIO. I want to do this for two reasons:
  • I want my case fans to speed up when coolant temps increase, so it has to be controlled by iCUE.
  • I can also manually change the fan speeds using the speed controller at the top of my case. It's simply 3-2-1-AUTO (PWM)
Currently my case fans are connected directly to my MOBO and looks at the motherboard temperature. I prefer this over CPU temps as that can spike in my experience. However, motherboard temps are not always indicative of load or cooling required, that's why I want to switch to coolant temps instead.

The problem is that when I set my fan speed to AUTO on the Be Quiet 802's fan controller, the attached fans spin at the same speed as '1' and do not vary according to my iCUE settings. It always just reads around 500RPM in iCUE no matter what curve or speed I set. When I switch the speeds manually on my case from 3-1, iCUE picks up the speed.

Does anyone know why the AUTO mode doesn't follow iCUE's setting on my 802's fan hub?

This thread is sort of a continuation from https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...t-max-speed-when-using-auto-pwm-mode.3691674/

If my understanding is correct, this fan controller allows you to use a PWM signal and converts that to a voltage regulated signal for your 3pin fans. The H115i has two 4pin PWM splitters, so in theory I just plug my controller into that and AUTO mode should follow iCUE...

Last edited:
Solution
With the PWM hub, what is the main source of your PWM signal? Meaning what device is populating FAN 1 port on the hub? As for the setup, it'd be a better idea if you have the PWM hub off the other CPU fan(CPU_FAN2) header on your motherboard. that way you get to manage the fans off the same CPU readings. The issue I see with how you want to pair the AIO and the PWM is the fact that the PWM hub in your scenario is managed by a switch which could be putting off the iCUE app. If you had a PWM hub like that from Phanteks where it only relied on a signal from the motherboard, I think you'd be able to pull off what you want to do.

Much of the suggestions and builds I've made with a PWM hub sans a way to manipulate the fans manually, didn't...

Lutfij

Titan
With the PWM hub, what is the main source of your PWM signal? Meaning what device is populating FAN 1 port on the hub? As for the setup, it'd be a better idea if you have the PWM hub off the other CPU fan(CPU_FAN2) header on your motherboard. that way you get to manage the fans off the same CPU readings. The issue I see with how you want to pair the AIO and the PWM is the fact that the PWM hub in your scenario is managed by a switch which could be putting off the iCUE app. If you had a PWM hub like that from Phanteks where it only relied on a signal from the motherboard, I think you'd be able to pull off what you want to do.

Much of the suggestions and builds I've made with a PWM hub sans a way to manipulate the fans manually, didn't go wrong.

On another, note, you could try another method, make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard, then uninstall and reinstall iCUe app with the latest version(from Corsair) in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator, see if that helps(though I think it's hardware related and not software).

Reactions: Platinum_Gamer
Solution

Platinum_Gamer

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2012

Much of the suggestions and builds I've made with a PWM hub sans a way to manipulate the fans manually, didn't go wrong.

On another, note, you could try another method, make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard, then uninstall and reinstall iCUe app with the latest version(from Corsair) in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator, see if that helps(though I think it's hardware related and not software).
I've been playing around with my setup and currently the hub's PWM input is the CPU_FAN1 PWN header on my ASRock Z370M Pro4 (CPU_FAN2 is simply a 3 pin which I have moved the pump speed connector onto). Previously, the 3 case fans were simply attached to a splitter coming from CHASSIS_FAN2 which is a 4pin header but only supports voltage regulation.

On CPU_FAN1, the hub's AUTO mode is listening to my BIOS settings but I've noticed the lowest it can go is around 500RPM when 0% is set in the BIOS, whereas before, the fans can reach 200RPM or completely stop when using CHASSIS_FAN2.

I'll try the iCUE reinstall later today :)

Last edited: