Question Connecting computer speakers to TV or laptop

Jan 12, 2023
Hello, I have several pieces of equipment I am trying to have work together. I am not sure if it will work or not and how to wire them, if it will. These are the pieces of equipment and I will show you the connections in pictures:
Panasonic Viera Plasma TV (Not smart) TV
HP Pavillion g series Left Right
Logitech X-540 speakers (subwoofer with 5 speakers) speakers
Harman/Kardon hk 590i radio/receiverreceiver
Pioneer DV-270 cd/dvd player (may not need since HP laptop has cd/dvd player) DVD

Hello, I am new to forums but have been going out to this website for a long time now in order to learn new things. After many years I discovered I liked playing/working with technology. This is totally on the other side of my major and my master's degree. This is my latest project and I have been trying to figure it out for over a month and now I have decided to ask for assistance. I have been watching youtube videos and looking at this website and others to try to see if anyone has a configuration like mine. In the past, I have used This and I found it to be quite helpful but not this time. So I thank you for any assistance you may offer. Peace

Hello, I have several pieces of equipment I am trying to have work together. I am not sure if it will work or not and how to wire them, if it will. These are the pieces of equipment and I will show you the connections in pictures:
Panasonic Viera Plasma TV (Not smart) TV
HP Pavillion g series Left Right
Logitech X-540 speakers (subwoofer with 5 speakers) speakers
Harman/Kardon hk 590i radio/receiverreceiver
Pioneer DV-270 cd/dvd player (may not need since HP laptop has cd/dvd player) DVD

Hello, I am new to forums but have been going out to this website for a long time now in order to learn new things. After many years I discovered I liked playing/working with technology. This is totally on the other side of my major and my master's degree. This is my latest project and I have been trying to figure it out for over a month and now I have decided to ask for assistance. I have been watching youtube videos and looking at this website and others to try to see if anyone has a configuration like mine. In the past, I have used This and I found it to be quite helpful but not this time. So I thank you for any assistance you may offer. Peace
Well, connecting the laptop to the speakers is the easiest; you just take the green plug from the speakers and plug it into the headphone jack on the laptop. You only get stereo sound which is all the laptop is capable of. You could also buy an adapter cable to connect the laptop to the HK receiver. Connecting the TV directly to the speakers is not possible since the TV's only audio output is an spdif optical output. Even worse, your HK receiver does not appear to have any optical inputs so it would not be possible to directly connect it to the TV. You could try a third party optical digital to analog converter box; they sell several on Amazon.

Jan 12, 2023
Well, connecting the laptop to the speakers is the easiest; you just take the green plug from the speakers and plug it into the headphone jack on the laptop. You only get stereo sound which is all the laptop is capable of. You could also buy an adapter cable to connect the laptop to the HK receiver. Connecting the TV directly to the speakers is not possible since the TV's only audio output is an spdif optical output. Even worse, your HK receiver does not appear to have any optical inputs so it would not be possible to directly connect it to the TV. You could try a third party optical digital to analog converter box; they sell several on Amazon.
thank you

Reactions: dwd999