[SOLVED] connecting four wires of one fan to four wires of other fan.

Jun 29, 2020
I want to connect 2 fans into single header but i can not buy the fan splitter cable due to lockdown in our area..............an idea came into my mind of cutting the 4 pin connector of one fan after that exposing the wires and connecting those wires with four wires of second fan and plug into single header ....... Now my question is that will my fan run or not?
Hope you understand

Solution
Will it run? Yeah there is nothing special about a Y adapter that makes them connect otherwise. With those thin tiny wires its not ideal, I really don't recommend such modifications unless you are skilled in this type of thing, since if the wires come out or apart it could end in a short/damage. But you could do it.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Will it run? Yeah there is nothing special about a Y adapter that makes them connect otherwise. With those thin tiny wires its not ideal, I really don't recommend such modifications unless you are skilled in this type of thing, since if the wires come out or apart it could end in a short/damage. But you could do it.

Reactions: NoobyNoobAAP
Solution
Jun 29, 2020
Thank you so much Sir for the quick reply......

Jun 29, 2020
You should not connect all 4 wires. One wire will be carrying the RPM signal from the Fan back to the motherboard. If you connect this from two fans it can cause a bad reading.

You can see on this splitter in the 5th image down, the 3rd pin is missing on one of the connectors.
https://www.amazon.com/JBtek-Black-...ocphy=9016358&hvtargid=pla-760665316512&psc=1
You should not connect all 4 wires. One wire will be carrying the RPM signal from the Fan back to the motherboard. If you connect this from two fans it can cause a bad reading.

You can see on this splitter in the 5th image down, the 3rd pin is missing on one of the connectors.
https://www.amazon.com/JBtek-Black-...ocphy=9016358&hvtargid=pla-760665316512&psc=1
Thanks man i understand now.......

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
All the above is quite right. Just to help recognize the correct wire NOT to splice together: The connector on each fan's wires has two ridges running down one side. The are near the locations of Pin #1 and Pin #3. Pin #4 is outside the ridges' range. It is the wires from Pin #3 that you should NOT splice together.

Reactions: NoobyNoobAAP

TRENDING THREADS