[SOLVED] Connecting from Router/Modem to TV

Jan 22, 2020
This may seem basic to a lot but its confusing to me. I am connected through SPECTRUM cable. I have a Technicolor Router/Modem connected to cable and from the Router/Modem there is an R69 cable to the TV . What would be the purpose of connecting with an HDMI cable also. Would the reception be better or will it stay the same?

Solution
This is the source of the confusion. USB is not HDMI. I doubt there is any way to use a USB port to hook to a tv. You can hook up things like roku or a memory stick but I have never seen a tv that supports hooking up a router. The USB port on a router in most cases is only used to hook up stuff like hard drives or in some cases they support cell modems.

In any case if you want to hook a tv up with a cable a ethernet cable is going to be a lot faster than any USB port and is simpler since USB is not really designed to carry network data.

The coax connector on the TV I suspect is only for cable tv channels. it likely does not carry data. Technically it is possible but I don't think your tv or your router has support for...
You need to post a photo of the back of the modem or you need to at least get the model number.

I have never seen a modem/router with HDMI. HDMI primary use is to connect between a video card and a monitor. A router is not a computer and does not output video.

Now there is some strange hdmi that can carry ethernet but I never saw a device that used it.

Reactions: SamirD
Now that I think about it, it sounds like you have a set top box that is all-in-one, and those would have hdmi out. As far as the picture quality, more than likely yes it would be better because you would be using the tuner in the set top box versus the tv.

Jan 22, 2020
Cannot figure out how to load the photos from my home page to this site. Cannot drag and drop and when I go to Insert Image it is asking for an address.

Jan 22, 2020
The Router/Modem on my system is a Technicolor model TC8717T and it specifically states in the description it has 4 ETHERNET Ports, 2 phone ports and 2 USB ports. Maybe I am not knowledgeable enough to understand if the 2 USB ports can be connected to the TV. I do know it is not a set-top box as I have a DVR installed also.

This is the source of the confusion. USB is not HDMI. I doubt there is any way to use a USB port to hook to a tv. You can hook up things like roku or a memory stick but I have never seen a tv that supports hooking up a router. The USB port on a router in most cases is only used to hook up stuff like hard drives or in some cases they support cell modems.

In any case if you want to hook a tv up with a cable a ethernet cable is going to be a lot faster than any USB port and is simpler since USB is not really designed to carry network data.

The coax connector on the TV I suspect is only for cable tv channels. it likely does not carry data. Technically it is possible but I don't think your tv or your router has support for moca. If you had verizon they use Moca in their modems.

Solution