Question Connecting Games Consoles to a router with one Ethernet cable

insinuendo

Reputable
May 15, 2016
I have three game consoles on a rack in the corner of my living room. I have one connected by an Ethernet cable. I would like to connect the other two in this manner. What is the simplest way of doing this? Is there a box I could buy that I could plug in the existing Ethernet cable and then plug three other cables in to connect them all to my router?

Urzu1000

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2013
What you're looking for is called a switch :)

For your needs I'd recommend one of the cheaper 5 port unmanaged ones. They range from about $15 to $30 on Amazon/Newegg.

Run the ethernet cable from your router to the switch. This makes the switch function as an extension of your router. Then you just plug in the consoles to the switch and you're golden. It's pretty much all plug and play.

Reactions: insinuendo

insinuendo

Reputable
May 15, 2016
What you're looking for is called a switch :)

For your needs I'd recommend one of the cheaper 5 port unmanaged ones. They range from about $15 to $30 on Amazon/Newegg.

Run the ethernet cable from your router to the switch. This makes the switch function as an extension of your router. Then you just plug in the consoles to the switch and you're golden. It's pretty much all plug and play.

Thanks very much for the info. I'll get one.