[SOLVED] Connecting HDMI monitor to DVI-D Dual Link PC with adapter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 5, 2019
Hi there,

I'm sorry if this has been discussed before, but I can't seem to find a straight answer.

My question is: Can I connect an HDMI port monitor to a DVI-D Dual Link port PC with, e.g., an adapter that converts HDMI to DVI-D? Will it work?

My computer has HDMI and DVI-D Dual Link outputs (GTX 1650) and I want to buy two 16:10 monitors, preferably the same model. The problem is that most monitors don't have both HDMI and DVI-D ports. They usually have HDMI and VGA or HDMI and DisplayPort. I'm really eager on buying two Dell P2217 monitors but one of them I'd have to connect with an adapter (either HDMI to DVI-D or DisplayPort to DVI-D).

The reason why I'm doubting adapters is because I've tried connecting an existing VGA monitor with a VGA-HDMI adapter and it didn't go well - the screen appears all blurry.

Thanks all in advance!

Solution
My question is: Can I connect an HDMI port monitor to a DVI-D Dual Link port PC with, e.g., an adapter that converts HDMI to DVI-D? Will it work?
Yes, you can and yes, it works.

DVI to HDMI adapter is simple passive adapter (no active electronics inside), it is bi-directional (works in both directions), but it will limit available resolutions/refresh rates. For 1080p@60Hz it's fine. If you need more than that, then you'll have a problem.

Lutfij

Titan
I would ask you to look for monitors that have the native connectivity options found on your GPU. If it's not obvious, the world is now moving away from DVI and have already left VGA ports in the dust. if you must buy monitors, you should look into ones that have native DP and HDMI input and choose a version of the GTX1650 that can hook to your monitors sans any adapters.

Dec 5, 2019
I would ask you to look for monitors that have the native connectivity options found on your GPU. If it's not obvious, the world is now moving away from DVI and have already left VGA ports in the dust. if you must buy monitors, you should look into ones that have native DP and HDMI input and choose a version of the GTX1650 that can hook to your monitors sans any adapters.
I understand, but my existing GTX 1650 has DVI-D and HDMI outputs and I can't seem to find a 16:10 monitor with both HDMI and DVI-D inputs, hence the question.

DVI to HDMI adapter is simple passive adapter (no active electronics inside), it is bi-directional (works in both directions), but it will limit available resolutions/refresh rates. For 1080p@60Hz it's fine. If you need more than that, then you'll have a problem.

Solution
Dec 5, 2019

Great! Would it be the same using a cable with HDMI on one end and DVI-D in the other? Or is an adapter better? Sorry for my ignorance.

Side question - does it work fine aswell DisplayPort to DVI-D? (instead of HDMI to DVI-D)

Would it be the same using a cable with HDMI on one end and DVI-D in the other?
It's the same thing (just adapter integrated into cable).

Side question - does it work fine aswell DisplayPort to DVI-D? (instead of HDMI to DVI-D)
Yes, those work, but active adapter is required and it will add cost.
And those things are uni-directional (work in one direction only). So if your pc has DVI and monitor has DP, then you need DVI to DP adapter (DP to DVI adapter will not work there).

Dec 5, 2019
It's the same thing (just adapter integrated into cable).

Yes, those work, but active adapter is required and it will add cost.
And those things are uni-directional (work in one direction only). So if your pc has DVI and monitor has DP, then you need DVI to DP adapter (DP to DVI adapter will not work there).
Understood! Thank you so much :)

Status
Not open for further replies.