Connecting laptop motherboard to external Yagi antenna without USB?

Mar 11, 2018
I am interested in connecting my laptop to an external WiFi Yagi antenna without using a USB device (i.e., I want to connect the antenna directly to my motherboard). I know that the WiFi card inside my computer has two wires, one black and one white, for two antennas; my Yagi antenna has a coaxial cable which is, of course, MUCH too large to connect to the motherboard! I am considering taking one of the tiny cables from inside the computer and soldering it to some kind of adapter that would allow me to connect it to the Yagi antenna, but am not entirely certain this will work (though I also can't figure why it wouldn't). Any thoughts?

Solution
The two cables inside your laptop usually lead to two separate antenna, one for receiving and one for transmitting. Buy a second yagi and good luck soldering those little wires from the laptop; each of those is coax also.

popatim

Titan
The two cables inside your laptop usually lead to two separate antenna, one for receiving and one for transmitting. Buy a second yagi and good luck soldering those little wires from the laptop; each of those is coax also.

Solution