Connecting Laptop with Desktop PC?

G

Hi, all. I want to connect (through cross over utp cable) my laptop with my desktop pc. I have network cards at both of them. I think I can do this through TCP IP or NetBEUI. Could someone please explain to me the exact steps I have to do in order for this to work?
thanx in advance
stark

Blue Skies Bring Tears

G

First ... what operating system are you running? That makes a difference.

Basicaly go into the help menu on on Windows 98 and above and type in netwrk, it will walk you through steps.

Next, you have to have a CROSSOVER UTP cable, not a patch acble, it will be albeled that way at local Office Depot or computer store.

If you have a hub, you do not need crossover cable, just Patch cable, I sugest looking at the purchase of a hub. They are pretty cheap at Pricewatch.com . Get a netgear or 3COM hub, 4 port.

Using TCP/IP is best bet for you.. since if u have 98 SE or 2000, you can use your connection through TCP/IP to do Intenet Connection Sharing... in other words, your Desktop becomes an internet server for your notebook, quite easily, it also is in help menu.

G

Thanx pdizazzo. I'm using Win98 se. I have what I need (crossover UTP). Currently I'm using TCP IP to connect my laptop to my company's LAN. So everytime I want to make the Laptop-Desktop connection, will I have to change these settings? Or am I able to create another TCP IP "profile", so I can switch between of them?
I'll probably be back with some questions
thanx again
stark

Blue Skies Bring Tears

G

Since you are using 98SE you are most likely connecting to the network through a workgroup, however you can be connecting through a Client Server Domain.

One way to destinquish them is at startup does it as for a Domain dame with your password?

If no domain name is specified, then it is a workgroup. If a workgroup, then just change the workgroup name of your home PC to match the Laptops, Workgroup name, and then restart. Upon restarting, after you suply your password, you should see both computers in Network Neighborhood.

Hope this helps

TRENDING THREADS