Connecting Laptop's Hard drive to Desktop PC

xartoNz

Commendable
Jul 21, 2016
My mum's laptop is broken and i want to make its drive as a boot drive in a desktop pc. I have removed it from the laptop and connected it to the dekstop pc with the sata cable and the power connector cable of psu.

When i start the computer and the "Windows is starting" appears I get a blue screen for some milliseconds (can barely see it ) and it restarts and keeps doing that as a loop.
However , I tried the disk on my own computer and it booted flawlessly so I thought there could have been something wrong with the other desktop pc.
Then , I connected the laptop drive to a another desktop pc (none of the two mentioned above) and got blue screen by starting again.

I would be really glad if anyone could help me.

Solution
Welcome to Tom's Hardware, @xartoNz!

Since it's a laptop 2.5" HDD, you should be able to get it powered up externally via a SATA-to-USB cable without any additional power supply. The 5V coming from the USB is usually enough. The reason why both computers have trouble booting with this HDD connected to the system might be a failed hardware (HDD) from your mom's laptop, just like @Calculagator mentioned. However, it might also be a boot priority issue in the BIOS, so I'd definitely try plugging the drive externally because it shouldn't have such a negative effect on the boot-up process. I'd also suggest you run the HDD manufacturer's brand-specific diagnostic utility or a third-party alternative to determine the health and SMART...
The hardware in your desktop is probably too different from what was in the laptop. You might be able to fix things by running startup repair from a windows installation disk, but your best option is to do a clean install of windows on the disk.

Welcome to Tom's Hardware, @xartoNz!

Since it's a laptop 2.5" HDD, you should be able to get it powered up externally via a SATA-to-USB cable without any additional power supply. The 5V coming from the USB is usually enough. The reason why both computers have trouble booting with this HDD connected to the system might be a failed hardware (HDD) from your mom's laptop, just like @Calculagator mentioned. However, it might also be a boot priority issue in the BIOS, so I'd definitely try plugging the drive externally because it shouldn't have such a negative effect on the boot-up process. I'd also suggest you run the HDD manufacturer's brand-specific diagnostic utility or a third-party alternative to determine the health and SMART status of the drive. (Once you can actually get it properly recognized)

Keep in mind that mobile 2.5" HDDs are slower than the desktop drives, so I'd definitely reconsider making it a bootable OS drive in your PC. It might actually degrade your system's performance and slow down the booting process.

Let us know if you have more questions or concerns! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Solution

TRENDING THREADS