Connecting More Than One Ethernet/gigabits Switches to a Router

No_Tech

Commendable
Dec 26, 2016
Can you have more than one Ethernet/gigabits switches connected to the router? Basement has one, but I would like to have another one upstairs as well. I do not intend to daisy chain it. The devices that I would like to connect are my PC, PS4, and PS3 and in the future a Nintendo Switch, and maybe change the PS3 later for something else.

A few days ago I bought the same switch that my brother got D-Link GO-SW-5G 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Desktop Switch. Since I see ones that have over 16 ports I thought that adding another switch with 4 ports would be fine. However when the second one was installed it made the internet very slow. My brothers told me that I might have to buy an expensive one so that it will not happen again. One that can be configured, but I am not a tech expert and I would like to know if a simple plug & play would still work (albeit a higher quality one). My router is a TP-Link AC1750 Dual Band Wireless AC Gigabit Router, 2.4GHz 450Mbps + 5Ghz 1300Mbps, Beamforming, 1 USB 2.0 Port and 3.0 Port, IPv6, Guest Network (Archer C8). From what I understand my router can only have one switch active since I think it is a hybrid between a switch and a wireless Wi-Fi access point. I do not know if that is true or not but any help is good.

Solution
You can absolutely have more than one switch connected to LAN ports on the router.
You can also daisy chain switches.

The 4 ethernet ports on the back of that (yellow ones) should each be able to take a switch, and then devices off those switches.

USAFRet

Titan
You can absolutely have more than one switch connected to LAN ports on the router.
You can also daisy chain switches.

The 4 ethernet ports on the back of that (yellow ones) should each be able to take a switch, and then devices off those switches.

Solution