[SOLVED] Connecting Multiple Docking Stations

Nov 5, 2020
So long story short, I now have two laptops for work. I connect the laptops each to their own docking station which is then connected to my display monitors. I’m looking for a “switcher,” so that I can connect my docking stations to them, and easily switch between which laptop I need displayed on the monitors.

If this is any help, my monitors connect via DisplayPort and my mouse and keyboard connect via USB. Anyone know of any accessories that could help with this set up? Preferably if I can buy it on Amazon. Thank you!

Solution
Generically, as I understand your requirements, you need to have each laptop connect to additional monitors beyond just the individual laptop screen.

If correct then you need a KVM (Keyboard, Video, Mouse) switch.

KVM switches are available in any number of configurations.

Sketch out your specific connection requirements down to the applicable port levels - for you that seems to be the "M" (monitor).

Aka "display".

Google"KVM". See what you can find and then, as you learn, revise the search criteria.

A traditional KVM switch lets the user work with two computers (as chosen by the switch) via a single keyboard, video (monitor), and mouse.

Sharing a DP monitor between two laptops - then a reverse KVM switch is needed.

Sketch...

Ralston18

Titan
Generically, as I understand your requirements, you need to have each laptop connect to additional monitors beyond just the individual laptop screen.

If correct then you need a KVM (Keyboard, Video, Mouse) switch.

KVM switches are available in any number of configurations.

Sketch out your specific connection requirements down to the applicable port levels - for you that seems to be the "M" (monitor).

Aka "display".

Google"KVM". See what you can find and then, as you learn, revise the search criteria.

A traditional KVM switch lets the user work with two computers (as chosen by the switch) via a single keyboard, video (monitor), and mouse.

Sharing a DP monitor between two laptops - then a reverse KVM switch is needed.

Sketch out a physical diagram of the connectivity (keyboards, video, mouse) required and search/google for the required switch.

Solution