Connecting multiple monitors with a displayport

IsItGreg

Commendable
Jul 31, 2016
I'm trying to figure out how to hook up a third monitor to my system. I have an XFX Radeon 7970 which is supposed to be capable of up to 6 monitors. I have one plugged into my HDMI port, one into a DVI port, and one through a DVI to HDMI adapter where the HDMI cord is plugged into a DisplayPort adapter. Any suggestions?

Solution
You do not need eyefinity to run 3 monitors but active dp is needed for more than 2 monitors. Eyefinity is setting up multiple monitors as one, not to be confused with simply extending multiple monitors.
To use 3 monitors you need to use eyefinity, and eyefinity only allows you to use 2 legacy connections (HDMI, VGA, or DVI). To get the third monitor working, you will need an active displayport adapter or run the monitor on native displayport, these are the only options.

Ah thanks, I've never personally used it as I'm on nVidia all the time, but I thought it was just AMD's program for arranging multiple monitors. You lean something every day i guess.

IsItGreg

Commendable
Jul 31, 2016

So I have a monitor supposedly running through a displayport adapter. Why doesn't it let me extend the display to that monitor as well?

Because it's not an active adapter

IsItGreg

Commendable
Jul 31, 2016

Could you explain?

IsItGreg

Commendable
Jul 31, 2016

So if I wanted to connect 6 monitors as one screen, and those monitors didn't have DisplayPorts, what would I use?

That's gonna be a bitch if you're not using native displayport. You'd have to buy something like this and then use displayport to whatever cable you're using adapters out of the hub.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815158403&cm_re=displayport_splitter-_-15-158-403-_-Product

IsItGreg

Commendable
Jul 31, 2016

It's starting to look like $200. Shit. Any cheaper solutions?

IsItGreg

Commendable
Jul 31, 2016

How do I know if the hub is an active DP hub?

Hubs are always active, the adapters for single cables usually aren't though

IsItGreg

Commendable
Jul 31, 2016

Ah I see, thanks so much for your help.

Never assume anything when giving support. You'll run into a whole lot less confusion and issues. He stated "6 monitors as one screen" so just want to make sure he's not trying to do something it couldn't handle anyways. For most spanning uses, eyefinity wouldn't be needed and having them extended would handle workflow better.

Doramius

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2013
For the video card listed, it would have "mini-Display Port" connections. Make sure you're getting the correct hub. You're going to want a mini Display Port hub with MST technology. MST is active. However, the video card is generally for 3 monitors, and adding higher numbers of displays to the card would greatly tax the bandwidth for the video. Not recommended function for anything with high-end graphics. You'll overheat your video card, or get poor video quality, or both. Multi-monitors is a large power and bandwidth draw. While capable of more, stick with the 3 on this card.

Doramius

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2013
overheating can happen with poor heat transfer. I've had odd batches of cards with poor thermal paste. nothing wrong with the hardware. Gaming isn't the only item you don't want to use multimonitors for. Using 4K monitors with mDP draws a lot of bandwidth even if showing a 4k video. Definitely can put the GPU through the BTUs. ;)

TRENDING THREADS