Question Connecting my desktop pc to the wifi hinders other device's internet access

jerome.haskell

Prominent
Mar 21, 2018
Hi there, as of a few days ago, connecting my desktop computer seems to hinder other devices in different ways, one phone flat out can't access the internet (yet remains connected) and a PC that has severely handicapped connection. Disconnecting my PC resolves these issues, and it doesn't affect all devices, as two other phones, a tablet, and occasionally yet another PC aren't affected, yet when a guest arrived his phone and laptop had the same issue

I've done virus check after virus check, rootkit scans, malware scans, not sure where to go from here.

Verify that your pc is using DHCP and not static ip address in the nic settings. A conflicting ip addresses especially the router IP can cause all kinds of issues.

Maybe your pc is using all the internet bandwidth. Check the network tab in the resource monitor and see how much traffic you are running and what is running it.

After that it gets hard to guess the traffic that can cause this. The brute force method is to load wireshark and actually capture the data. You should be able to see if it is sending stuff to things it should not. Wireshark on the non working machines may also give you a clue.

jerome.haskell

Prominent
Mar 21, 2018
IP is set to dhcp and task manager isn't showing any large use of band with, with other devices experiencing problems even when PC's at under 300kb/s on download and under 100kb/s on upload, I'll give wireshark a go and post once that's done