Connecting my Laptop HDD to Desktop

Jimiih

Reputable
Nov 27, 2015
Hi! When I connect my old laptop HDD to desktop, computer doesn't boot with it being plugged in.
When I go to bios, I see it there yes, and when I boot from my normal Windows drive, it doesnt go past ASUS logo. I use SATA cable.

Solution
First and foremost your windows OS is configured for your laptop and thus and it will not boot correctly for your desktop as the hardware is different.
This could cause it to not boot or boot but have instability.
Not to mention that your laptop windows is licensed for your laptop, it is completely against the laws/rules of your license to use it with a different computer.

Now in your instance since it does not even get to a windows splash screen or anything past the bios boot page I would suspect that there is probably a mismatch between your laptop and desktop boot settings. When windows was installed on your laptop it was installed for either UEFI or legacy bios and for AHIC/RAID or IDE mode. Taking the drive and putting into a...
Hi there Jimiih,

You have properly attached the drive right? You can try using different SATA and power cables. Also, you can attach it to another port.

You can go to BIOS and see if you can remove all the other boot options, except for your OS HDD.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)

First and foremost your windows OS is configured for your laptop and thus and it will not boot correctly for your desktop as the hardware is different.
This could cause it to not boot or boot but have instability.
Not to mention that your laptop windows is licensed for your laptop, it is completely against the laws/rules of your license to use it with a different computer.

Now in your instance since it does not even get to a windows splash screen or anything past the bios boot page I would suspect that there is probably a mismatch between your laptop and desktop boot settings. When windows was installed on your laptop it was installed for either UEFI or legacy bios and for AHIC/RAID or IDE mode. Taking the drive and putting into a another computer that does not have the same settings in BIOS will result in a no-boot situation.

Solution