Question Connecting my new router ?

User1990

Commendable
Nov 12, 2021
Hey, yesterday I bought a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X to use with my standard ISP router so I can take advantage of the custom rules it has like SQM.
My WAN(DSL) connections on the current router are PPPOE transfer type.
To plug it via PPPOE passthrough(not bridge) do I just set up PPPOE connection on the edgerouter X then plug it on the router's lan port ? or is there anything else I need to do?

Last edited:

User1990

Commendable
Nov 12, 2021
You can simply connect your Edgerouter X to the ISP router using LAN cable and set it to Access Point mode.
So I just connect the 2 together then connect every pc on the edgerouter and I'm good to go ?
Do I need to do any setup on edgerouter before connecting it or after?

User1990

Commendable
Nov 12, 2021
Thank you very much.
Will get it done when I get home. Heard edgerouter x's qsm is pretty good, can't wait to see it in action.

User1990

Commendable
Nov 12, 2021
Do you mean SQM?
Yes SQM mistyped sorry!
Will it work by connecting that way? Have bufferfloat issues and looking to fix them that way.

Am I gonna need the DSL user/password to establish internet connection on the edgerouter?

Last edited:
Yes SQM mistyped sorry!
Will it work by connecting that way? Have bufferfloat issues and looking to fix them that way.

Am I gonna need the DSL user/password to establish internet connection on the edgerouter?
SQM also depends on your ISP, it should work in most cases.

You don't need DSL password to use the Edge router, once connected to the ISP router it's immediately online.

But you'll need the default username/password to connect to the Edgerouter. It's usually printed on the back of the router. After that you can set your own password for the Edgerouter.

Reactions: User1990

User1990

Commendable
Nov 12, 2021
I did establish connection, everything is working fine.
I updated to the latest firmware.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Reactions: lvt