[SOLVED] Connecting my PC directly to the modem when router is installed ?

Jan 18, 2022
I was thinking of installing a router at home to improve the internet in the garden. Currently we use the ISP provided modem. However I won't be able to connect my pc with an ethernet cable to the spot I want the router. Is it possible to connect my pc directly to the modem and all the other devices use the WiFi of the router?

Solution
So what is this device you call a "modem". I will assume you somehow connect multiple device to the ISP "modem". This would mean the box is actually a modem and router. Most actual modems only have 1 port so you could only connect it to the garden router. It isn't even the port limitation it is that the ISP only gives you 1 IP address. That is the key function of a router to allow multiple devices to share the IP.

If the ISP device actually has router function then you can add a second router and plug your PC directly into the ISP device. I would recommend that the second router be run as AP rather than running it in router mode. When run 2 actual routers in your house you can have issue with devices not being...
So what is this device you call a "modem". I will assume you somehow connect multiple device to the ISP "modem". This would mean the box is actually a modem and router. Most actual modems only have 1 port so you could only connect it to the garden router. It isn't even the port limitation it is that the ISP only gives you 1 IP address. That is the key function of a router to allow multiple devices to share the IP.

If the ISP device actually has router function then you can add a second router and plug your PC directly into the ISP device. I would recommend that the second router be run as AP rather than running it in router mode. When run 2 actual routers in your house you can have issue with devices not being able to talk to each other, but they can all use the internet fine.

Solution

rgd1101

Don't
I was thinking of installing a router at home to improve the internet in the garden. Currently we use the ISP provided modem. However I won't be able to connect my pc with an ethernet cable to the spot I want the router. Is it possible to connect my pc directly to the modem and all the other devices use the WiFi of the router?
if there is a open out ethernet port on the modem, sure.

TRENDING THREADS