Connecting NAS to a Bridged Router

Jul 11, 2018
Good morning!

I have a theoretical question before I waste time trying to get it working...

If I set up a network like this:

Cable modem-->router(bridge mode)-->Router-->Clients...
\
NAS (Connected to Bridged Router)

Will the rest of my clients be able to see the NAS or does it need to be after the router that is handing out IP's?

I want to do this because I want my modem/nas/switch to live in the basement and my router/mesh wifi etc to be on the main level...

Any suggestions?

thanks in advance!

Solution
You don't want to plug the modem into the LAN of the first router. It will essentially make everything plugged into the lan on the modem (public ip). If you nest your routers everything on the last router will be able to connect to the NAS via ip address on the first router. discovery won't work because they are on separate layer2 broadcasts. the subnet of each router in a nest needs to be different.

The best solution is to try and run another wire out of your router into a switch somewhere so you can connect all your wired devices.
You don't want to plug the modem into the LAN of the first router. It will essentially make everything plugged into the lan on the modem (public ip). If you nest your routers everything on the last router will be able to connect to the NAS via ip address on the first router. discovery won't work because they are on separate layer2 broadcasts. the subnet of each router in a nest needs to be different.

The best solution is to try and run another wire out of your router into a switch somewhere so you can connect all your wired devices.

Solution
Jul 11, 2018

That's exactly what I figured. I'm going to reverse the setup of my network to accomplish what I want. I'll move the modem up to the router and have 1 Ethernet cable to a switch in the basement to connect to everything else...

Thank you for your response...

TRENDING THREADS