[SOLVED] Connecting new laptop to 144hz monitor

Yussefoh

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2013
Hey guys, I recently purchased this laptop https://www.amazon.com/VivoBook-Business-i7-9750H-1920x1080-WAVLINK/dp/B0813TRVPN (Without the component that it comes with), and I'm trying to connect it to my 144Hz monitor which is the Asus VG248QE and have it run at 144Hz. I tried USB-C to display port, but it's giving me a

"Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

A USB port reset request failed."

I have tried many solutions to resolve this, but to non of theem worked so I sent a support ticket to Asus to see if the laptop supports it.

I'm wondering if there are any other alternatives to get 144Hz working?

Solution
Alright if so, is there any other alternative methods to achieve 144Hz?
You can get up to 120 Hz using an HDMI to DisplayPort active adapter.
Your Asus VG248QE display could do 120-144HZ via DP or Dual-Link DVI connections only.
USB Type-C could support several standards besides data transfer.
To be able to deliver video the USB Type-C should support Thunderbolt 3 specifications.
Your laptop USB Type-C ports does not support Thunderbolt 3 specifications thus cannot deliver video thru a USB Type-C to DP adapter.

Your Asus VG248QE display could do 120-144HZ via DP or Dual-Link DVI connections only.
USB Type-C could support several standards besides data transfer.
To be able to deliver video the USB Type-C should support Thunderbolt 3 specifications.
Your laptop USB Type-C ports does not support Thunderbolt 3 specifications thus cannot deliver video thru a USB Type-C to DP adapter.
Video over USB-C doesn't depend on Thunderbolt support. It depends on DisplayPort Alt-Mode support. This is a mandatory feature of Thunderbolt 3, so if a port has Thunderbolt 3 then it also has DP Alt Mode. However if a port does not have Thunderbolt 3 it still may or may not have DP Alt Mode. TB3 support isn't a requirement.

Alright if so, is there any other alternative methods to achieve 144Hz?

Solution

Yussefoh

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2013
Oh that's awesome, thank you very much!