Connecting Noctua NH-D14 to Asus CROSSHAIR IV FORMULA 890FX

Andy_S

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
I posted to wrong forum first time - Sorry!

I’m currently experiencing high temperatures when I’m gaming for long periods when overclocked. So far I have only overclocked using the Asus software and I’d like to have a go at doing it through the BIOS. It’s time to upgrade the CPU cooler to something with a bit more power.

I’ve opted for the Noctua NH-D14 (not yet purchased) as from what I can see it’s quiet, effective and is compatible with my motherboard, memory and case. Noise is an issue for me, so I didn’t want water cooling. I also quite like the fact you can remove the fans with the heat sink in situ, so that you can blast out any dust with air.

I looked at the fitting instructions on this review:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/LGA-2011-i7-3960X-Air-Overclocking,review-32380-10.html

It shows it has two separate fan connectors. On my motherboard there is only one CPU_FAN connector. How do I connect the second fan and set it up so that the motherboard can manage the fan speed in relation to the core temperature?

By the standards of a lot of the people on here, I’m quite low tech, so please keep it simple - I may have totally missed something!

Here’s my current PC spec:
PC Spec:
Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
Corsair Carbide 400R Case
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2
Asus CROSSHAIR IV FORMULA 890FX Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
G-Skill 8GB Ripjaws X DDR3 1333 Dual Kit
Sapphire HD 5830 1GB GDDR5 x 2 in CrossfireX
Corsair 850W AX850 Modular PSU
OCZ 120GB Agility 3 SSD – SATA III
Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB Hard
Cheers,
Andy

Solution
Hey Andy,

You and me both when it comes to low tech, the only thing I can reccomend is the 2nd slotting into a system fan slow and with a program like speed fan etc adjust the fan speeds accordingly.... If you do a hard overclock I think some people keep their fans on a constant setting anyway!

Unless theres a 2 into 1 cpu fan cable, but I have looked for you and can't see anything =( does it have something of use in the box?

Many thanks

Andy

Sithian

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
Hey Andy,

You and me both when it comes to low tech, the only thing I can reccomend is the 2nd slotting into a system fan slow and with a program like speed fan etc adjust the fan speeds accordingly.... If you do a hard overclock I think some people keep their fans on a constant setting anyway!

Unless theres a 2 into 1 cpu fan cable, but I have looked for you and can't see anything =( does it have something of use in the box?

Many thanks

Andy

Solution

Andy_S

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
Thanks Andy,

According to the Noctua website it is compatible to both my motherboard and memory.

Mobo:
http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=compatibility_gen&products_id=34&lng=en#AM3_Asus
Memory:
http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=compatibility_ram_gen&products_id=34&lng=en#DDR3_G.Skill

In the Tom's hardware review for LGA 2011 it also shows it with a ripjaws module that has the same fins so I'm hoping it will be okay.

Yes, I think your suggestion on a system fan is probably my best option today.

Cheers,

Andy