[SOLVED] Connecting old router as AP to Wifi extender for signal boost? And question about WAP to WAP

hetoneato

Honorable
Feb 10, 2015
Hello,

I'm trying to extend Wi-Fi by using WAP, however, the distance and walls are killing the signal too much. I decided to buy and use another WAP to connect it to the first one, hoping it would reach the destination. I'm aware of the bandwidth and speed cost, but it's mostly going to be used to browsing the internet.

However, after succesfuly connecting the second WAP to the first one, the second isn't giving out access to the internet. The signal between them is good, but only first WAP gives actual access. Any ideas why is the second one not working?

http://cubeupload.com/im/Zv3zda/help2.png

If those WAP wont work, i'm planning on using old home router as AP (I believe i can configure it as an AP) and connecting it to the WAP via cat5e (see picture). I hope that will work, since there are no other ways to actually extend the signal, since i cannot drag ethernet from the original router to anywhere.

http://cubeupload.com/im/Zv3zda/helppls.jpg

WAP1: TP-LINK RE300
WAP2: ASUS RP-AC51
Old router: will check tomorrow

Any help is appreciated.

Solution
APs are not made to work like mesh systems -- they rely on the primary router for DHCP (giving out addresses to devices). Wireless to wireless extenders do not work well.

If you have coaxial cables in the walls you can consider MOCA, but the easiest approach would be to buy a pair of AV2-1000 or better powerline adapters. If you need wireless in the distant area you can either attach an old router set up as an AP or buy a powerline set with wireless capability on the distant unit, like THIS model.

Just avoid the older AV500 and AV600 units as they work poorly, the newer AV2-1000 or higher use MIMO and improve data throughput up to around 200Mbps.

RealBeast

Titan
APs are not made to work like mesh systems -- they rely on the primary router for DHCP (giving out addresses to devices). Wireless to wireless extenders do not work well.

If you have coaxial cables in the walls you can consider MOCA, but the easiest approach would be to buy a pair of AV2-1000 or better powerline adapters. If you need wireless in the distant area you can either attach an old router set up as an AP or buy a powerline set with wireless capability on the distant unit, like THIS model.

Just avoid the older AV500 and AV600 units as they work poorly, the newer AV2-1000 or higher use MIMO and improve data throughput up to around 200Mbps.

Solution

hetoneato

Honorable
Feb 10, 2015

Damn, i'm not planning on spending that much money, best idea would be the powerline. If I, in the future, bought Wi-Fi powerline, would i be able to use like this?

http://cubeupload.com/im/Zv3zda/a2.png

Last question I have, if i were to close the distance, what component would i use if i cant move the router?

http://cubeupload.com/im/Zv3zda/a1.png

Thanks!

RealBeast

Titan
The first powerline adapter needs to be connected a router LAN port by an Ethernet cable and plugged into a power outlet. The second adapter at a distance plugged into a power wall plug will provide an Ethernet port and (if you buy the wireless type) will also have a wireless AP built in.

There is no way to jump numerous air gaps and have any reasonable signal unless you spend a fortune on a mesh system -- and they really don't work as well as you might hope.

hetoneato

Honorable
Feb 10, 2015
The first powerline adapter needs to be connected a router LAN port by an Ethernet cable and plugged into a power outlet. The second adapter at a distance plugged into a power wall plug will provide an Ethernet port and (if you buy the wireless type) will also have a wireless AP built in.

There is no way to jump numerous air gaps and have any reasonable signal unless you spend a fortune on a mesh system -- and they really don't work as well as you might hope.

I see, no way to get it working then, thanks for help!