[SOLVED] Connecting PC to TV ?

rastalien

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2014
Hi there! Can I somehow connect a KB & mouse and the TV to the PC in the next room? I have ethernet ports.. one next to the PC in my bedroom and one to the TV in the living room, both ports connected. Is there any simple solution to my problem :S Or i have to get used to the input lag on all the cast and cloud gaming softwares ? :(

Thanks in advance!

Solution
More something like this.
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Extender...words=HDMI+KVM+Extender&qid=1626782242&sr=8-3

This is purely a example I know nothing about this device. I think this one actually runs on true ethernet.

You have to be very careful. A device that can run over "ethernet" is not the same as a device that can run over CAT5E or CAT6 cable. Ethernet is a method of transmitting data on wires or maybe even fiber optic cable. The main difference would be is the devices need a physical wire between the 2 locations. Something that runs over ethernet could pass though a switch or router...or even run on a fiber optic cable It all...

rastalien

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2014
You can get hdmi/usb kvm over ethernet extenders.

So the answer is yes, so long as that ethernet install is good and it's at least cat5e you should be good for 1080p over hdmi.

Theyre not cheap though, depending on location between $80 and $150.
Any brand/model or link where i can see the options? :D I've make some research about these devices, but i've found out that prices can go realy skihigh :D Some reach 2k+
Also i've noticed there are extenders which transfer 4k@60hz... Is there any budget solution with these paramteres or i have to invest about the price of a gaming rig into this extender :D
Am i looking for something like this?
https://www.avaccess.com/collections/usb-kvm-series/products/4kex100-kvm

Last edited:
More something like this.
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Extender...words=HDMI+KVM+Extender&qid=1626782242&sr=8-3

This is purely a example I know nothing about this device. I think this one actually runs on true ethernet.

You have to be very careful. A device that can run over "ethernet" is not the same as a device that can run over CAT5E or CAT6 cable. Ethernet is a method of transmitting data on wires or maybe even fiber optic cable. The main difference would be is the devices need a physical wire between the 2 locations. Something that runs over ethernet could pass though a switch or router...or even run on a fiber optic cable It all depends on if you have a dedicated piece of cat5e wire between the 2 locations. The units that run on ethernet are much more complex so cost more. With the ethernet ones you can actually run the data over a vpn, the lag might make it unusable but it is technically possible to extend this to another location far away.

Pretty much you get what you pay for. Higher end devices support higher data rates and less delays/lag. It will never be 100% because the video data is being compressed and uncompressed.

Still these work pretty good and any input lag is very minor compared to cloud based gaming. This is what makes me laugh when they talk cloud gaming. Gamers are buying extremely expensive monitor etc to reduce tiny amounts of input lag. Then you have these cloud game companies trying to say 50ms extra will not have any impact. I guess all the current gamers should just use cheap tv instead. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: rastalien
Solution

rastalien

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2014
@bill001g Yeah.. at first.. BUY THE NEW OLED WITH ZERO LATENCY AND FIVE THOUSAND HERTZ REFRESH RATE TO FEEL THE POWER OF THE NEXT GEN CONSOLES!
then.. We introduce you the all new CLOUD GAMING 4k with questionable fps and negligible input lag of about 100ms.
So I need a device which runs over Cat5E+ cable, but for the 4k@60hz extenders do I need Cat6 or 7.. or the 5E will do the job? I was going for the next gen consoles (first time looking into console cuz of the hardware shortage :disrelieved:) And then i was about, HEY can i just use 1 PC in both rooms? :D But do i need really expensive extender for about 4-500$+ in order to remove any noticeable input lag or Video signal lag?

@bill001g Yeah.. at first.. BUY THE NEW OLED WITH ZERO LATENCY AND FIVE THOUSAND HERTZ REFRESH RATE TO FEEL THE POWER OF THE NEXT GEN CONSOLES!
then.. We introduce you the all new CLOUD GAMING 4k with questionable fps and negligible input lag of about 100ms.
So I need a device which runs over Cat5E+ cable, but for the 4k@60hz extenders do I need Cat6 or 7.. or the 5E will do the job? I was going for the next gen consoles (first time looking into console cuz of the hardware shortage :disrelieved:) And then i was about, HEY can i just use 1 PC in both rooms? :D But do i need really expensive extender for about 4-500$+ in order to remove any noticeable input lag or Video signal lag?

Cat 5e won't do 4k@60htz, there's not enough bandwidth in the cable itself.

Possibly 4k@30htz but I'm dubious.

Cat 6 has 2.5x the max bandwidth of cat 5e hence its capability of managing 4k@60htz.

These devices are so confusing. Nothing is standard and everyone seems does their own proprietary thing.

The major problem is how fast the data is being transferred between the video card and the monitor. This is also why there are restrictions on the cable lengths. If you look at say 4k at 60hz it needs about 18gbit/sec....I think this topic get so complex with HDR and color encoding etc

Now if we look at simple HDMI extenders ( the KVM adds more complexity) you can find models that will run uncompressed data over a pair of cat6 cable. How exactly they do this is hard to say most use some proprietary method but it is not "ethernet" Even cat6a can only run 10gbit so there just is not enough bandwidth.

I am not sure if these device really work at those high speeds. In any case you would need a pair of cat6 cables running directly between the rooms. You would need another cable to run the mouse/keyboard if a KVM works this way.

The device that run on ethernet are going to be limited to 1gbit or maybe 10gbit if you pay big money. These device take the raw video and compress it sorta like a twitch steamer does. This will cause a delay. I assume like most these things the better quality of the compression the more delay. This is where better quality KVM equipment has better hardware compression. You are never going to actually get 4k at 60hz to pass though. What comes out may be at those clock rates but the data has been smashed. This is similar to when console gamer only talks about frame rates trying to compare it to a video card that costs more than the whole console.

I have never tried to use one at those rates. We had one at a trade show and it was working fine at 1080 30hz but that was a number of years ago, and I play so bad I can't tell about input lag.......but I guess I can blame it all on that :)