[SOLVED] Connecting PCIe cables to GPU whilst PC is running ?

Feb 27, 2023
my specs:
windows 10 64bit
gpu: gigabyte rx 5700 xt (no dual bios)
cpu: i3-10105F (doesn't have integrated graphics)
motherboard: gigabyte H410M S2H V3 (1 gpu slot)

i failed in gpu bios flash, now with pcie cables plugged into it, gpu fans spin, there is no image on the monitor and sound, and it doesnt boot to windows.
with pcie cables not plugged into it, gpu fans dont spin, there is no image on monitor but there is sound and it boots to windows.
then when i try to run blind amdvbflash -i, in cmd it says that adapter not found.

my question is, will something bad happen if i connect pcie cables into gpu whilst Windows is running ?

Solution
my question is, will something bad happen if i connect pcie cables into gpu whilst Windows is running ?
You can damage GPU or motherboard or PSU. Or all of them.
Anyway it won't work. Once the system passed POST powering the card will not change anything, it will still be not recognized by Windows and so flashing it will still not be possible.

How about finding GPU repair shop? Since flashing the card does not take much time they should be able to do it for relatively cheap.
Anyway it won't work. Once the system passed POST powering the card will not change anything, it will still be not recognized by Windows and so flashing it will still not be possible.

How about finding GPU repair shop? Since flashing the card does not take much time they should be able to do it for relatively cheap.

Reactions: Kenai07
Solution
Why were you flashing the card to begin with? If a repair shop isn’t an option, I know I’ve seen used 5700xt cards on eBay in the USA reported as being sold refurbished from Asus for $175. Though I recently got a used 5700xt from a miner for $140. So deals are out there. Might also check into a 6600 or 6600xt.

Feb 27, 2023

my motherboard has 2 PCI Express slots, x16 and x1, if i would buy Kolink Riser PCIe x1 - x16, and connect rx 5700 xt to riser and riser to that x1 on my motherboard and my gt 1030 to my motherboard, would it work then? i cant plug rx 5700 xt into motherboard cuz it covers that x1 on motherboard

my motherboard has 2 PCI Express slots, x16 and x1, if i would buy Kolink Riser PCIe x1 - x16, and connect rx 5700 xt to riser and riser to that x1 on my motherboard and my gt 1030 to my motherboard, would it work then? i cant plug rx 5700 xt into motherboard cuz it covers that x1 on motherboard
It should work as long as you get a proper riser (something that looks like this)
What-is-a-PCIe-Riser-2.jpg

However, a piece of warning here: it is possible (although rare) that your VBIOS flash attempt failed in such bad way that you would not be able to make system POST with 5700 installed at all. If that happens your only option is repair shop as they have ways to flash VBIOS without putting GPU into PC.

Feb 27, 2023
It should work as long as you get a proper riser (something that looks like this)
What-is-a-PCIe-Riser-2.jpg

However, a piece of warning here: it is possible (although rare) that your VBIOS flash attempt failed in such bad way that you would not be able to make system POST with 5700 installed at all. If that happens your only option is repair shop as they have ways to flash VBIOS without putting GPU into PC.
this, https://www.conrad.com/p/kolink-riser-cable-pcie-x1-x16-riser-cable-1604932
image.jpg

Feb 27, 2023
pc wont boot to windows with connected rx 5700 xt(power cables and pci-e), and gt 1030. pc will boot to windows with gt 1030, and rx 5700 xt connected with only power cables, 8pin and 6pin, but not to pci-e. if i start pc with power cables connected to rx 5700 xt, but not to pci-e, and at windows connect to pci-e, will something bad happen? will it work like shortening bios chip?

Realistically as well, not knowing where you are from, but in the USA you can get a 5700xt on eBay used for around 150-170 bucks. You might be ahead to just buy another card. A shop may charge a diagnostic of say 40 bucks and 75 bucks an hour or something like that. Depends on how they work.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
If shopping at allegro.pl, it's pretty certain Op is not in the US, but much closer to Poland.

Op, right now that card bios is bunk. It needs professional help to hard flash the bios. That cannot be done by the average user as they do not own the equipment to do so. Trying to shortcut by hot-swapping does not work.

To do so generally requires either removing the bios chip from the board, where it can be directly plugged into other equipment that can force a bios hardcode, not through the pcie slot.