How To Connecting Phanteks Neon RGB light strips to your MOBO...

jon96789

Prominent
Aug 17, 2019
How to configure the Phanteks Neon Digital RGB LED Strips with Corsair's iCue installed.

Basically, iCue will not control the Phanteks strips. This was a frustrating experience which took me a while to figure out.

I always thought that you had to configure the ASUS plug-in in iCue to configure the Phanteks Neon Digital RGB LED strips to function properly on my ASUS X570 ROG Crosshair Hero VIII AM4 motherboard.

When I bought the LED strips, I connected them to the three-pin addressable RGB connector on the motherboard, you do not connect them to the Corsair Commander Pro or Light Node modules (it won't work anyway, as the connectors are not compatible). The LED strips would light up but always remained in a rainbow pattern no matter what I did in iCue.

I finally determined that the iCue ASUS plug-in was not needed to configure the LED strips. You can disable the ASUS plug-in in iCue by disabling the Enable plugins in the the Settings tab in iCue or by deleting the ASUS folder located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Corsair\CORSAIR iCUE Software\plugins directory.

What you need to do is install AURA Sync 1.07.79_V2.1. You can download it at https://www.asus.com/campaign/aura/us/download.php. The link is at the bottom of the page, do NOT download or install ASUS Armoury Crate, which is the big red download button on the middle of the page.

After installing AURA Sync, launch it and you can configure the LED Strips there. You will note that the color selection is limited to what a color wheel shows in the app. I wanted the LEDs to be white. AURA allows you to enter the RGB values for the color. Since I knew white has the RGB value of 255:255:255, I entered it in AURA and the LEDs lit up in white, even though the app shows it as red.

Some notes. The LED strips uses plastic clips that attach to the case using a double-stick tape. Good luck with that. The double-stick tape is pretty useless, I ended up using zip ties to attach the strips to the case along with some of the clips in strategic locations. Another issue is that the clips do not hold the strips that well. The strips would fall out of the clips by their weight alone if the clips face down. You need to add some thickness to the strips (I used a piece of paper) between the strips and the clip's grooves for it to remain in place. Frustratingly, they do not supply you with sufficient clips if you do an only all straight lines layout. Finally, the Phanteks three-pin RGB connector really sucks. It has large round holes and is pretty difficult to connect to the motherboard.

I hope this helps,

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS