[SOLVED] Connecting Radeon RX470 8gb 8-Pin power conctor to 6-Pin MSI 990FXA-GD65 (MS-7640) (CPU 1)?

heinflhs

Reputable
Sep 12, 2016
Hi, My old MB has a 6-Pin power connector for the GPU. I'm thinking of buying a used Radeon RX 470 8Gb. The Power connector of the card is an 8-Pin. Are there connectors that I can use to connect the 8-Pins power connector of the card to the 6-pins of my MB?

And if so, will this work?

Found this Pcie express 6 + 2 connector. Does this fit the Radeon RX 470? If so, I can feed the card with this connector and I don't need an adaptor and I can use the card in my PC.

Last edited:
Solution
No, the 6 pin power connector is located on the MB
Referring to the PWRCONN - usually you're just better off plugging straight into the GPU from the PSU. it was usually optional from GPUs that may have just exceeded the 75W power draw from the PCIe slot.

Annoying that you cannot insert an image here.
You can, just upload to imgur and paste the link here.

But I found a 6+2 connector from the PSU. My question is if that one would fit in with the RADEON RX 470 and work?
PSUs and GPUs are ATX connection standardised, so the card will take a 6+2 pin (8pin) PCIe express cable. If the PSU cable is labelled PCIe express, it was made to fit that kind of GPU :)

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
When you say your MB has a 6 pin power connector, do you mean the PSU?
What is your current PSU make and model?
If you're referring to using an adapter to plug into the GPU, I'd avoid it!

Also CPU power connectors are not in any way meant for GPU power.

If your PSU has a 6+2 PCIe connector, that's that 8 pin you use for the GPU.

Reactions: heinflhs

heinflhs

Reputable
Sep 12, 2016
No, the 6 pin power connector is located on the MB. But I found a 6+2 connector from the PSU. My question is if that one would fit in with the RADEON RX 470 and work? Annoying that you cannot insert an image here.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
No, the 6 pin power connector is located on the MB
Referring to the PWRCONN - usually you're just better off plugging straight into the GPU from the PSU. it was usually optional from GPUs that may have just exceeded the 75W power draw from the PCIe slot.

Annoying that you cannot insert an image here.
You can, just upload to imgur and paste the link here.

But I found a 6+2 connector from the PSU. My question is if that one would fit in with the RADEON RX 470 and work?
PSUs and GPUs are ATX connection standardised, so the card will take a 6+2 pin (8pin) PCIe express cable. If the PSU cable is labelled PCIe express, it was made to fit that kind of GPU :)

Solution