[SOLVED] Connecting RGB strip through USB

rakibfahadgts

Reputable
Aug 4, 2018
I have two sets of Deepcool RGB strips that use general non proprietary 5050 pins. Is there any way to power up strips through PC. Basically I want the LED strips to turn on as soon as I turn on my PC. However the thing is I will use the strips in my desk as opposed to inside PC case. I've already bought an alternate power cable (the RGB kit came with a controller that had molex cable) through which I can power up the strips from my surge protector. All I want is to sync the on and off with PC.

Solution
If the requirement is to have the RGB strip turn on at the same time the computer is turned on then there must be a connection of some sort to the PC.

Otherwise how will the RGB strip "know" when the computer is turned on?

As I understand the plan, you would need to have the wall outlet provide power to both the computer's PSU and the new AC adapter servng the RGB strips.

I.e., one switch.

However, that all is likely to bypass the normal power on and shutdown procedures that occur when the PC's power on button is pressed. A computer's power should not be controlled via the PSU's switch or some other in-line power switch. Bad enough to need to do that when the system crashes or freezes.

That all said there are USB controlled...

Ralston18

Titan
"Pretend" that you are hooking the Deepcool RGB strips up inside the case.

Then use an applicable RGB extension cable to "move" the RGB strips outside of the case.

I would be very wary of any power connection from an outside source ( i.e., a surge protector) going back into my computer to power/control the RGB strips.

That all said, I believe that more information is needed: for example - what "alternate power cable"?

rakibfahadgts

Reputable
Aug 4, 2018
"Pretend" that you are hooking the Deepcool RGB strips up inside the case.

Then use an applicable RGB extension cable to "move" the RGB strips outside of the case.

I would be very wary of any power connection from an outside source ( i.e., a surge protector) going back into my computer to power/control the RGB strips.

That all said, I believe that more information is needed: for example - what "alternate power cable"?
I'm not connecting the strip with my computer. See attached image. There's a cable in the image titled power cable 12 v DC. There's one end of this cable that is molex. Basically my new cable replaces this with a AC plug that connects to wall outlet. This allows me to turn on the strip directly from wall socket. But the problem is if it isn't connected through PC I have to turn on the strip manually every time I turn on the PC. My question was is there any USB controlled way of powering up the cable through USB port so that I can sync LED boot with PC boot.
350_6.jpg

Ralston18

Titan
If the requirement is to have the RGB strip turn on at the same time the computer is turned on then there must be a connection of some sort to the PC.

Otherwise how will the RGB strip "know" when the computer is turned on?

As I understand the plan, you would need to have the wall outlet provide power to both the computer's PSU and the new AC adapter servng the RGB strips.

I.e., one switch.

However, that all is likely to bypass the normal power on and shutdown procedures that occur when the PC's power on button is pressed. A computer's power should not be controlled via the PSU's switch or some other in-line power switch. Bad enough to need to do that when the system crashes or freezes.

That all said there are USB controlled power strips. For example (not a recommendation nor endorsement):

https://www.amazon.com/Kasa-Smart-P...words=smart+power+strip&qid=1629719410&sr=8-4

Search/google "usb controlled power strip" for additional devices.

Read the reviews, User Guides, etc. before purchasing. Pay attention to all warnings and fine print.

Quality matters.

For the most part I would be wary about doing anything beyond simply turning on the wall switch. Takes only a second and there is much risk involved in having AC power find some direct route, via the RGB strips, adapters, smart power strips, etc. into the PC.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Solution