connecting router to a load balancing router

cvl123

Honorable
May 23, 2013
Can i connectect a router to a load balancing router then to a computer?

--I have 20 computers and also have 2 ISP so that we dont get cut off if one ISP fails

If you have two ISPs, you would typically use a single router that supports dual-WAN. And it's that dual-WAN router that would handle load balancing, failover protection, etc.

cvl123

Honorable
May 23, 2013
Yes, so i plan to use a dlink load balancing router (with 2 WAN for the 2 ISP)
This is my setup:
Isp modem --> router --> dlink load balancing router --> computer
Is this pissible? Thanks for your reply

Let’s be more precise here. In your illustration …

Isp modem --> router --> dlink load balancing router --> computer

… I’m assuming you actually have TWO modems, each w/ its own router, and those routers are connected to the WAN ports on the dual WAN (load balancing) router. So three (3) routers in total. Or perhaps the other ISP setup is just a modem (no router). Doesn’t matter.

As far as the dual WAN router is concerned, each WAN is connected to some other network. It doesn’t give a hoot how that network is configured, whether it’s a modem, another router, switch, whatever. All it knows is that it’s been told to load balance traffic between the two WANs, and/or use one as the primary and the other as a failover. So in that sense, it’s dumb. It just does what you tell it to do w/ those WAN ports. Of course, *hopefully*, given your intended usage, each WAN provides a pathway to the Internet!

cvl123

Honorable
May 23, 2013

In my research, one article talked about changing the ISP of the load balancing router - it must be different from the first router so they don't conflict. Problem is, how to do this?

TRENDING THREADS