Question Connecting router to VirginMedia modem

Jacopo_4

Reputable
Jul 19, 2017
Hello, I have a Virgin Media router which can be set up to work as a simple modem
When I do that, it changes its ip from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.100.1 and I can connect a laptop to any of its ethernet port and the laptop has internet

I’ve just bought a Tp-Link Archer C7, I’ve gone through the quick setup and selected ‘dynamic ip’ but the router cannot establish a connection to internet

What am I doing wrong?

Do I need to set it to a specific ip? I tried 192.168.0.1, 192.168.100.2, 192.168.100.1 but no luck
I also tried with an old Dlink router and still no luck

I’ve never done this but it doesn’t look difficult as all the instructions I’ve found are ‘connect one end of the ethernet cable to the Internet port of the router and the other end to the modem’; is there anything more to be done?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

The IP on the modem is kinda a fake one used only for management. You PC should have gotten a actual IP from the ISP via your modem.

Now this is where cable modems are a pain. They will lock the first mac address they see...in this case your PC... and that will be the only device the ISP ever sees even if you switch equipment.

What you generally have to do is power cycle the modem every time you change the device you have plugged into it. There are options to spoof the mac address of say you PC in the router wan settings but it is not worth the hassle.

Jacopo_4

Reputable
Jul 19, 2017
I have another pc, but that one doesn’t get internet when wired to the Virgin modem

I have spent more than one hour with Tp Link support; they made me clone the mac address of the pc that can connect fine, with no success
They also had me enable Unicast DHCP, with no success

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Jacopo_4

Reputable
Jul 19, 2017
Did you power cycle the modem when you tried different devices.

Yes, when I tried my own router

Now, I’ve called VirginMedia, the lady on the phone has put the router in modem mode from her hand

I’ve connected my first laptop (the one that was already working) and it worked, I connected the Tp Link router and it also worked

I just don’t know why; I asked her if the provider was only allowing one specific Mac address and she said ‘no, your IP address changes every time’ so I’m not really sure she knew what a mac address was

I suspect that the half hour I’ve been on hold has given the tp link router time to reset (which is also what Tp link suggested)

I’m still a bit puzzled as I don’t understand what the issue is/was

Last edited: