[SOLVED] connecting samsung 970 evo is disabling my 2 other ssd

VoodooHex

Honorable
Nov 7, 2016
i just got my new 970 evo 500g and i wanted to connect it and when i did i checked the bios and boot menu and it dosnt show my 2 other ssd i removed it tried and they show up i put it back in and they are gone but my 2 hdd are still there always
is that common putting m.2 removing sata ssd my 2other are vortex ocz 3 240g and force ls corsair 60g

Solution
i just got my new 970 evo 500g and i wanted to connect it and when i did i checked the bios and boot menu and it dosnt show my 2 other ssd i removed it tried and they show up i put it back in and they are gone but my 2 hdd are still there always
is that common putting m.2 removing sata ssd my 2other are vortex ocz 3 240g and force ls corsair 60g
Yes, this is common.
You have to read your user manual to see the specific allowed configurations.

geckovic02

Reputable
Jan 21, 2019
If you read your Motherboard manual, you will see that using a specific M.2 slot disables another SATA port. On my motherbard, if I use a second M.2, my third SATA port will be disabled because they are using the same lanes

USAFRet

Titan
Yes, this is common.
You have to read your user manual to see the specific allowed configurations.

Solution

VoodooHex

Honorable
Nov 7, 2016
well guys my motherboard is gigabyte z97-d3h i only have 1 m.2slot but my ssd are connected to 2 ports of 10gb sata and i got 4 more ports of 6gb sata which the hdd are connected does it mean the m.2 is disabling the 10gb sata ports?

VoodooHex

Honorable
Nov 7, 2016
oh it is (M.2, SATA Express, and SATA3 4/5 connectors can only be used one at a time. The SATA3 4/5 connectors will become unavailable when anM.2 SSD is installed.)
thx guys for the adivce about manual

USAFRet

Titan
What kind of m.2 do you have, VoodooHex?

I would like to buy one m.2 ssd (I've same board GA-Z97-D3H) but I'm not sure... will it be working properly for example this?
AORUS RGB M.2 NVMe SSD 256GB

That drive will work (mostly).

However, on a Z97 motherboard, that M.2 port is likely limited to x2 level performance. You'll get maybe 1/2 the performance out of that drive.
Also
"The SATA3 4/5 connectors will become unavailable when an M.2 SSD is installed."

So you lose those two SATA ports.

Lastly, please don't dredge up 6 month old threads.