Question Connecting soundbar to pc

alankargwd

Reputable
Aug 30, 2018
Hi,
I was wondering if it will be possible to connect a 5.1 soundbar via HDMI to my PC. The only main concern I have is I want the surround sound possibility. My motherboard does not have any optical output.

Will it be possible to use onboard HDMI port of my motherboard to connect to the soundbar while getting the display from the graphic card? if so please suggest how it can be set up. Will I have to just connect the HDMI to the PC and to the soundbar without making any changes to the computer screen. Or do I have to change any setting in the computer or motherboard bios settings too?

P.S. I am planning to get a DAC with optical output to connect it, but till the time I do not have the DAC, I would like to set up the soundbar with the PC with HDMI

Thank you.

All of it depends on specific sound bar. What is model name of your sound bar?

If your sound bar has HDMI pass through, then you connect hdmi cable from gpu to soundbar (HDMI IN) and
another hdmi cable from sound bar (HDMI OUT) to monitor.

If your soundbar has optical in, then you connect motherboard optical out to soundbar optical in with a toslink cable.
Since you said, your motherboard doesn't have optical out, then you'll need a discrete audio card for optical out.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Is the problem that you are using the GPU HDMI port for the monitor? Any possibility to switch that to Display Port? Then you could plug straight into the GPU.

Getting anything out of the HDMI port on the motherboard depends on the CPU you have, but if you do have an iGPU then you should be able to tell it to output sound.

Now I have never tried getting audio from one display adapter and running graphics on the other, so it is possible that won't work.

alankargwd

Reputable
Aug 30, 2018
I have GTX 1650 super and the soundbar that I have is Sony S40r 5.1ch. It does not have HDMI pass and my motherboard does not have any optical output as well.

I have read that sometimes the optical does not provide the proper 5.1 output to the soundbar, so I was wondering that would it be possible to use display port to HDMI converter to get display to my monitor and then using the HDMI port to get sound directly to the soundbar and still keeping the 5.1ch.

Thank you.

TRENDING THREADS