[SOLVED] Connecting to a switch

Jun 19, 2020
Hi all,

I'm trying to find a way to bring my WIFI network (incl a number of AP:s) to switch which used to be connected via a wired connection that does not exist anymore. Is there a way to add a "modem" to the switch?

kanewolf

Titan
Hi all,

I'm trying to find a way to bring my WIFI network (incl a number of AP:s) to switch which used to be connected via a wired connection that does not exist anymore. Is there a way to add a "modem" to the switch?
I don't fully understand the question so I will throw out a few different answers...
If the switch (and APs) are intact, then you need a ROUTER and modem to connect everything to the internet. The router would connect to the existing switch.
What is confusing is your phrase "bring my WIFI network" to a switch. That makes it sound like the wiring from the APs is gone.

What parts do you have that function and what are you trying to change ?

Jun 19, 2020
Hi, sorry I will try to clarify.

I have a few pieces of equipment that do not deal with wireless so they are connected by wire to a switch. The switch used to be wire connected to a router using a pair of powerline modems in between. As I have upgraded to fiber the powerline adapters are now a bottleneck, I therefore want to get rid of them but that leaves the switch without a wired connection.
I'm therefore looking for a solution on how to bring the wireless to the the equipment that need a wired connection (via a switch or something else)

The router would connect to the existing switch.
What is confusing is your phrase "bring my WIFI network" to a switch. That makes it sound like the wiring from the APs is gone.

[/QUOTE]

kanewolf

Titan
Hi, sorry I will try to clarify.

I have a few pieces of equipment that do not deal with wireless so they are connected by wire to a switch. The switch used to be wire connected to a router using a pair of powerline modems in between. As I have upgraded to fiber the powerline adapters are now a bottleneck, I therefore want to get rid of them but that leaves the switch without a wired connection.
I'm therefore looking for a solution on how to bring the wireless to the the equipment that need a wired connection (via a switch or something else)

The router would connect to the existing switch.

There is only two options to get gigabit speeds. An ethernet cable or the latest version of MoCA. If you have coax cable you could investigate using MoCA for your link rather than powerline. WIFI or powerline will be 300Mibt or less.

Jun 19, 2020
There is only two options to get gigabit speeds. An ethernet cable or the latest version of MoCA. If you have coax cable you could investigate using MoCA for your link rather than powerline. WIFI or powerline will be 300Mibt or less.

Could I install a Gigabit WIFI extender/repeater and plug in the switch on theEthernet connection on the extender?