[SOLVED] Connecting to dish hopper

backdrop001

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2012
Hi guys, my father is wanting to connect his internet to his dish hopper to watch some streaming apps. He Do NOT have wifi, he said he tried just plugging his ethernet cord into the back of his dish box and it didn't work, He talked to customer service over the phone and they were trying to walk him through it with settings and they said he would have to get a wifi booster. Maybe this is a dumb question but how would a wifi extender help if he's not connecting through wifi.

The wanted him to pay $200 for it which i said if its a wifi extender you can get one for like $20 so i'm wondering if he misunderstood that.

I'd appreciate any help he's going stir crazy lol.

Solution
It all depends on how things are setup in the house.

Normally it must go ISP----modem---router---devices.

The cable going outside the house is not ethernet even if it is delivered on rj45. Only a modem can be connected to this. A modem can only have 1 device attached to it so almost everyone has a router. The modem and the router can be in the same device, this is much more common when the connection is DSL.

The only way a wall port will work is if the far end is plugged into a router or a switch that is then plugged into a router. This assumes that the port is actually ethernet. If it is a telephone line then it is a dsl connection and that can only be plugged into a modem.

This is one of those get some photos and ask...
It will work better if he can get ethernet to work.

It is pretty rare that someone does not have wifi it is actually hard to get a router that does not have it.

So where does the ethernet cable that he is trying to use go to. Has he tried plugging a computer into the same cable. I have not seen a dish box in many years but the last one I saw you did not have to do anything other than plug the cable it. It like a pc got its IP from the router.

Using wifi extender is kinda stupid. You would plug the "extender" /AP into the same ethernet cable and basically put it behind the dish box. If the ethernet cable works to the extender it has to work to the dish box. It is either going to be some cable issues or a configuration issue.

backdrop001

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2012
yeah that's what i thought, and yes it works on the pc, now he told me that he was plugging the Ethernet from the wall into the dish box, wouldn't he had to have it plug into the modem and then another one from the modem to the dish box? or am i wrong about that

It all depends on how things are setup in the house.

Normally it must go ISP----modem---router---devices.

The cable going outside the house is not ethernet even if it is delivered on rj45. Only a modem can be connected to this. A modem can only have 1 device attached to it so almost everyone has a router. The modem and the router can be in the same device, this is much more common when the connection is DSL.

The only way a wall port will work is if the far end is plugged into a router or a switch that is then plugged into a router. This assumes that the port is actually ethernet. If it is a telephone line then it is a dsl connection and that can only be plugged into a modem.

This is one of those get some photos and ask for very detailed information about what is plugged into what and what works and what does not.

Solution