Connecting to secure wireless network

snitchel111

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Hello,
I connected one laptop to wireless connection, no problem. Tried connecting 2nd laptop and it sees the wireless connection, asks for network key; but then doesn't connect. Don't know if this matters, but the first laptop showed blank network key box. 2nd (problem) laptop showed bullets already in network key box. I typed my password over them. Using windows xp. Any idea why 2nd laptop won't connect?

G

I would start by turning off wireless security in the router. Also permanently disable Access List (filter users by MAC ID) and select the correct wireless mode for all your computers' wireless adapters.

Then see if the problem computer can connect.

If yes, reapply security making a note of the security type and passphrase. But if you use WEP (and you shouldn't) copy and paste the HEX version of the passphrase rather than the alphanumeric.

uncle_ben

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2005

Maybe remove current wireless connection from the list of network connections on the lappy that does not want to connect and run a new connection wizard.

snitchel111

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Thanks for the advice. i went back into router (dlink) and left security setting wpa2 and network key/passphrase. This time I ran the wireless wizard which confirmed network name and security setting. But it also asked for a security password. This is different then network key/passphrase. I tried connecting computer 2 with security password and it worked. Now computer 1 needed to be reset with security password and it works too. I do not know why network key/passphrase worked on one computer to connect to network, but 2nd computer needed security password??? oh well, i'm just glad both computers are working.