Connecting to the wrong router!

Snugglasaurus

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015
Hi Network Magicians,

So we have two routers in my house:

The main router (XFinity)
My housemates personal router (Netgear) - connected directly to the main router via Ethernet (don't ask why)...

My housemate doesn't want me connecting to her personal router. So I have plugged my computer directly into the main router (Xfinity) via Ethernet, but for some reason my computer picks up and connects to her router (Netgear) instead.

So now she has blocked me on her router so I can no longer connect, but my Ethernet still does not connect to the main router (Xfinity). How can I connect to the main router? I can't find any setting to choose like the one for the wireless connections.

I am able to connect to the wireless on the main router without problems

Help! I will literally have no hair left soon.

Depending on how her router is set up and wired, they may be part of the same local network.

If she wants to be isolated, her router needs to be connected via its WAN port, not the LAN port.

She'll still be able to see computers connected to the main router, but those connected to the main router won't be able to connect to hers.

Snugglasaurus

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015

Okay. But how can I avoid connecting to it from my end? I'm not interested in configuring her devices for her..

Snugglasaurus

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015
Okay. Then we're going to have to go into stealth operation mode because there is no way you can make me wake this dragon of a woman.

How can I do the old switcharoo without her noticing?

I do not see a WAN port on my main router (xfinity)

I have 6 ports:

4 labelled 'ethernet' (1 - 4) (her router is in 1, my ethernet is in 2)
2 labelled 'tel' (Tel 1, Alarm/Tel 2)

I can access her router settings if I use my phone (it's not blocked).
I can access the main router settings also

Guide me, Someone... Somewhere

imthebigchief

Honorable
Nov 26, 2014
Multiple routers is a mess. It should be 1 router and 1 Access Point (or more). The main Cable Router (Xfinity) should be the router. Her router (netgear) should be set as an Access Point with its own configuration. Then both of y'alls stuff is separated. She can set her stuff on her "Access Point" the way she wants, and you can't see her stuff, but you are both connected to the same main Xfinity router.

Snugglasaurus

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015

She must be seeing me in the 'connected devices' list when you go to her routerlogin.net

TRENDING THREADS