[SOLVED] Connecting Two Monitors To A Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2021
Hello –

I have an HP Laptop - 15t-dy200 touch that only has one HDMI port. (The laptop also has USB ports and one USB-C port.)

I want to connect two monitors to the laptop. I already own two monitors that have DVI inputs. I already own two HDMI to DVI cables.

What do I need to purchase to be able to hook up both monitors to my laptop? Is an HDMI splitter what I need? If yes, can I just buy any splitter, or do I need something specific (and I am on a tight budget)?

My last laptop, which had HDMI and VGA ports, was able to be connected to two monitors.

Thanks

Last edited:
Solution
Hello –

I have an HP Laptop - 15t-dy200 touch that only has one HDMI port. (The laptop also has USB ports and one USB-C port.)

I want to connect two monitors to the laptop. I already own two monitors that have DVI inputs. I already own two HDMI to DVI cables.

What do I need to purchase to be able to hook up both monitors to my laptop? Is an HDMI splitter what I need? If yes, can I just buy any splitter, or do I need something specific (and I am on a tight budget)?

My last laptop, which had HDMI and VGA ports, was able to be connected to two monitors.

Thanks
An HDMI splitter probably isn't what you want. That would just duplicate the same thing on two screens.
This thread on HP answers the question in a...

kanewolf

Titan
Hello –

Thanks
An HDMI splitter probably isn't what you want. That would just duplicate the same thing on two screens.
This thread on HP answers the question in a round-about way -- https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Noteb...ction-to-two-HP-monitors-HP-27fw/td-p/7895390
Basically there is only one video output on that device. You have to ADD a graphics device for the second monitor.
There are other threads on HP asking the same thing and the answers are all "add a graphics adapter" ....

Solution
Aug 1, 2021
This thread on HP answers the question in a round-about way -- https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Noteb...ction-to-two-HP-monitors-HP-27fw/td-p/7895390
Basically there is only one video output on that device. You have to ADD a graphics device for the second monitor.
There are other threads on HP asking the same thing and the answers are all "add a graphics adapter" ....
Thank you

Aug 1, 2021
Update: I purchased a USB-C to HDMI adapter (to which I connected an HDMI to DVI cable). This does not work at all. Laptop still only connects to one external monitor. Maybe is a graphics card/driver issue? Maybe a laptop settings issue: The laptop does not recognize any of the monitors, although one still works ?

I have not tried a docking station. My last Lenovo laptop connected perfectly to two external monitors via an HDMI port and a VGA port. The external monitors are two Dell monitors.

Update 2: The USB-C port does not support Thunderbolt or Displayport

Last edited:
May 7, 2023
Update: I purchased a USB-C to HDMI adapter (to which I connected an HDMI to DVI cable). This does not work at all. Laptop still only connects to one external monitor. Maybe is a graphics card/driver issue? Maybe a laptop settings issue: The laptop does not recognize any of the monitors, although one still works ?

I have not tried a docking station. My last Lenovo laptop connected perfectly to two external monitors via an HDMI port and a VGA port. The external monitors are two Dell monitors.

Update 2: The USB-C port does not support Thunderbolt or Displayport
Hey Sean, how did you solve the issue? I tried different products on my usb-c port and none of them worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.