Question Connecting two networks to one modem

medic5678

Prominent
Jun 26, 2022
I want to connect 2 networks to one modem, but have both networks be unable to see each other? So users in network 1 cannot see network 2 users or resources and vice versa. The second network is in a remote location on my property, which houses my business. I'll be using this - https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Out...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

The first configuration seems good, I'm just not sure how to prevent users from seeing across networks.

kanewolf

Titan
I want to connect 2 networks to one modem, but have both networks be unable to see each other? So users in network 1 cannot see network 2 users or resources and vice versa. The second network is in a remote location on my property, which houses my business. I'll be using this - https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Outdoor-Network-300Mbps-Extender/dp/B093DCR54M/ref=sr_1_48_sspa?crid=2AFUBE6TCBKWW&keywords=wifi+antenna+pair&qid=1657296506&s=electronics&sprefix=wifi+repea,electronics,5317&sr=1-48-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExVEtYOUFKSTlHVEQ5JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjM1MDMxMUhYSk5HSktTMzIySSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMTAyODMyMzczT0RZOE5PMkcwRSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2J0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

The first configuration seems good, I'm just not sure how to prevent users from seeing across networks.
First question is do you have two public IP addresses from your modem? If not, then you will have to cascade routers. That makes it easy for the first network being blocked to the 2nd. The first network is treated like the "internet" on the second router so isolated. Theoretically the users on the second router might be able to get to the first network if they know enough.
What you linked is a point to point bridge. IF the far end unit will work as a router rather than just a bridge then it can work as I described above.

medic5678

Prominent
Jun 26, 2022
First question is do you have two public IP addresses from your modem? If not, then you will have to cascade routers. That makes it easy for the first network being blocked to the 2nd. The first network is treated like the "internet" on the second router so isolated. Theoretically the users on the second router might be able to get to the first network if they know enough.
What you linked is a point to point bridge. IF the far end unit will work as a router rather than just a bridge then it can work as I described above.

What if I got a 3rd router and hooked that to the modem? Then hooked network 1's router and the bridge to that. On the other side of the bridge, network 2's router hooked. Would like to do it all with a minimal amount of configuration.

Last edited:
That is the brute force method but with 3 routers you can isolate them. They all run as routers and not bridges.

So you would connect the modem to say router 1.

You would then connect a lan port on router 1 to the wan port on router 2 and router 3. Router 2 and router 3 think that the network between them and the lan port on router 1 are the internet. Because there is NAT on the WAN port it prevents any incoming traffic from any place including the other router.

Be careful in your selection of subnets. The wan port and lan ports have to be on different networks so use something link 10.1.1.x for the network between all the routers.