Connecting two PC's, to two Display's? One control both, one control each?

Oct 1, 2018
So our office has decided they want a setup to be able to show presentations on a monitor. Thing is they also want to be able to show documents from both PC's at times. So I was thinking of a dual monitor setup, using a switch and a splitter. To allow one PC to control both screens, and then have one PC control the other wirelessly if they needed to show something off that PC. Would that be able to work?, or does anyone have any ideas on a better way to achieve the same result?

Solution
Transfer the documents ahead of time? I guess I can't really see the use-case in order to figure out why you would need to do this.

A KVM will let you switch the input from one PC to another. No idea how you would wirelessly control the other computer without a second set of peripherals.

Programs like Synergy will let you control two computers with one set of peripherals via a network, basically a virtual KVM. Or a more seamless version of remote desktop.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Transfer the documents ahead of time? I guess I can't really see the use-case in order to figure out why you would need to do this.

A KVM will let you switch the input from one PC to another. No idea how you would wirelessly control the other computer without a second set of peripherals.

Programs like Synergy will let you control two computers with one set of peripherals via a network, basically a virtual KVM. Or a more seamless version of remote desktop.

Solution
Oct 1, 2018

Thanks for the reply, that was pretty much what I was thinking as well. Was just wondering if there was another way to set things up to achieve the desired result, I'll probably just go the simple route of having one computer control one monitors, but it was worth a thought.

The mentioned Synergy as well as Microsoft's free Mouse Without Borders allow you to use one mouse and keyboard to control multiple computers. While documents will open on the monitor attached to the computer the document is on, the software allows copy-paste or simply dragging files between computers also if you wanted to open them on the other monitor.

Looks like Logitech is trying to do the same thing too but requiring you to buy a mouse. In any case one keyboard and mouse seamlessly across all monitors is a lot less clunky than toggling a KVM each time to switch monitors--which leaves the extra, inactive cursor on the previous monitor and requires browsing the network to share files.
[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXd19xR7vPI"][/video]