Connecting Two Power Supplies of Different Wattage

UROWNMISTAKES

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015
I have a 350 watt psu and a 500 watt psu. I have seen how to connect the two using the green wire (PC_On) and the ground wire (black or grey). However, is it okay and/or safe to connect two power supply units together like this if they differ in wattage?

350 watt would run the motherboard and all other computer components that came stock on the pc. Which is what it is currently doing.

500 watt would only be connected to my graphics card (R9 380 Gaming 4g). This psu would be dedicated to the video card.

So guys/gals let me know what you think. is this a good idea?

Thank you.

Solution
Using a single PSU with the necessary wattage & rail voltage/amperage is always going to be more efficient than trying to make 2 separate PSUs work together. If nothing else, 99% of the cases out there only have a spot for a single PSU, which leaves one of them sitting outside & unprotected, looking like Frankenstein's monster. Not to mention that there's always the possibility of the splicing going bad, having to make sure the splice is well insulated, & that it most likely voids the warrant for both PSUs so that if something goes wrong & fries the system you're out of luck from an RMA standpoint.
You can do that just fine. The only catch is overloading one of the power supplied with its respective load / power draw. That won't be a problem for you since you total power draw is relatively low. With that said... you are getting to a more complicated setup that really doesn't buy you much. I can only assume that your two PSUs aren't of the highest quality and my recommendation would be to just run the 500w (if it is a quality unit), or just buy a new 550w PSU and be done. A quality 550w power supply is more than enough for your system (including the GPU). Just make sure it is a Tier 1 or Tier 2 unit.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

spdragoo

Expert
Ambassador
Using a single PSU with the necessary wattage & rail voltage/amperage is always going to be more efficient than trying to make 2 separate PSUs work together. If nothing else, 99% of the cases out there only have a spot for a single PSU, which leaves one of them sitting outside & unprotected, looking like Frankenstein's monster. Not to mention that there's always the possibility of the splicing going bad, having to make sure the splice is well insulated, & that it most likely voids the warrant for both PSUs so that if something goes wrong & fries the system you're out of luck from an RMA standpoint.

Solution