Connecting two routers to one modem comcast

francissayshi

Honorable
Oct 21, 2013
So I have comcast and we have a phone/TV gateway thing (xfinity arris tg862) as well a modem (arris cm820). I live with like 7 people and during the summer, my housemate bought a linksys e1550 router, connecting it to the modem, and shared it with me and then kicked me off later and is sharing it with other people. I was wondering if it's possible connect my own router to the modem and how to do it?

Are there any cheap but good routers, better than the e1550? I want a good one without getting the same one and my budget is around 50-60. I want one because the Internet was so fast when I was using his e1550 but now I can't even game or watch videos without getting annoyed with the bad connection when connected to the arris. I am also planning on sharing my connection with another person.

Solution
The best available N wireless router IMO is the ASUS RT-N56U. I would attach it to the TG862 with an Etherent cable and set up a different radio channel, SSID and security so that no one else can use your wireless.

RealBeast

Titan
That is a bit confusing, since you should not need both the TG862 and CM820.

How are they connected from the initial cable coming into the building. And where is his Linksys attached -- to the single port of the CM820 or one of the four ports of the TG862?

If you are using the wireless from the TG862 (even if it is very poor) you should be able to attach an Ethernet cable to one of the four ports on it and run it to a cheap router configured as an access point. You will need to use a different radio channel to avoid interference, and different SSID and passkey to secure your wireless.

With a number of wireless networks near you, you may want to get a dual band model -- you can check what radio channels are being used currently with a free app called inSSIDer from HERE.

francissayshi

Honorable
Oct 21, 2013

Oops, the tg862g, or whatever the xfinity gateway box is. I cannot connect my laptop to the router because it is all the way across the house, I have a cable but it's not good enough. I think the cm820 is what is connected to the gateway but I still want a router better than that e1550 to hook up and use for me and like 2 other people in the house.