Question Connecting USB 3.x front ports to USB 3.2 motherboard connectors

gravedigger

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2010
My new motherboard has one US 3.2 Gen 2 10 Gbps Type C connector and one USB 3.2 Gen 1 5 Gbps connector. My Fractal Design case has one USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type C front port and two USB 3.0 fronts ports.
Which ports can I connect to the motherboard and what cables and adaptors would I need?

The Type C case cable should go with the Type C motherboard header. 3.x cables and headers are usually cross compatible, however because one is 3.1 and the other 3.2, you will only get 3.1 performance out of that one.

Are the "USB 3.2 Gen 1 5 Gbps connector" and "two USB 3.0 fronts ports" for Type A connectors? If so, that's where they'll be connected. Same deal for the Type Cs though, a 3.0 can plug into a 3.2 header but you'll only get 3.0 performance out of it.

The performance differences between 3.0 3.1 and 3.2 wont be very noticeable though not as much as the difference between 2.x and 3.x

Oct 9, 2020
The Type C case cable should go with the Type C motherboard header. 3.x cables and headers are usually cross compatible, however because one is 3.1 and the other 3.2, you will only get 3.1 performance out of that one.

Are the "USB 3.2 Gen 1 5 Gbps connector" and "two USB 3.0 fronts ports" for Type A connectors? If so, that's where they'll be connected. Same deal for the Type Cs though, a 3.0 can plug into a 3.2 header but you'll only get 3.0 performance out of it.

The performance differences between 3.0 3.1 and 3.2 wont be very noticeable though not as much as the difference between 2.x and 3.x
Hi, im in the same boat as him, my case has 2 front usb 3.0 and motherboard is 3.2. Will the front ports work as normal then yeah?