[SOLVED] Connecting windows 10 NAS disables all wired connections to router

nadeejalm

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2012
I have a Archer C9 router flashed with dd-wrt. Recently I upgraded from WDmycloud NAS to a DIY NAS using an old PC with windows 10 pro installed. I created a windows raid storage array using 3 disks and shared that directory so I can access it from other devices connected to the router. To run this NAS headless I enabled remote desktop and also installed Plex windows server and created a Task schedule to start Plex server even when a user is not logged in.
But the problem is as soon as I configure this server it will run as I intended and then after some time randomly (I'm not sure what causes this) it will disable all connected wired clients to the router including WAN port. So clients accessing router with wifi can't even get internet. As soon as I unplug NAS from the router clients can have internet again. But in order to get NAS working again I have to access it locally. Just logging into NAS seems to fix the disconnection issue for a limited time.
There was no such issue when I was using WDmycloud NAS.

Solution
I have a Archer C9 router flashed with dd-wrt. Recently I upgraded from WDmycloud NAS to a DIY NAS using an old PC with windows 10 pro installed. I created a windows raid storage array using 3 disks and shared that directory so I can access it from other devices connected to the router. To run this NAS headless I enabled remote desktop and also installed Plex windows server and created a Task schedule to start Plex server even when a user is not logged in.
But the problem is as soon as I configure this server it will run as I intended and then after some time randomly (I'm not sure what causes this) it will disable all connected wired clients to the router including WAN port. So clients accessing router with wifi can't even get...

kanewolf

Titan
But the problem is as soon as I configure this server it will run as I intended and then after some time randomly (I'm not sure what causes this) it will disable all connected wired clients to the router including WAN port. So clients accessing router with wifi can't even get internet. As soon as I unplug NAS from the router clients can have internet again. But in order to get NAS working again I have to access it locally. Just logging into NAS seems to fix the disconnection issue for a limited time.
There was no such issue when I was using WDmycloud NAS.
Do you accidentally have a DHCP server enabled on your PC ?

Solution

nadeejalm

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2012
I think the problem is because there are two DHCP servers running in my network. One in ISP provided router and another in my Archer C9 router. I made Archer c9 a DHCP forwarder and that seems to fix the issue.