Connecting wired to an access point

Jun 6, 2018
I used to have a secondary router in the summer house (Connected to hub via a cat5 into the WAN). all the wired devices in the summer house (TV, Sky, NAS etc) all worked fine.
I have now turned the secondary router into an access point so that everything is on the same network, but now everything that was previously wired into the secondary router now does not work.

do I need to make sure that all the IP addresses of the wired devices in the summer house are outside the DCHP range of the primary router?

Any help would be much appreciated

Solution
It can't hurt. I generally limit the DHCP range to exclude all devices with static IPs as a matter of course. However, if the wired devices to the secondary router are on DHCP from the secondary, they should not be getting their IPs from the primary router via wireless. It will depend on how the network is setup, and individual device settings. If wired, there's no need for wireless on a device, so can't hurt to disable the wireless on it.

N.B. Beware of double NAT.
It can't hurt. I generally limit the DHCP range to exclude all devices with static IPs as a matter of course. However, if the wired devices to the secondary router are on DHCP from the secondary, they should not be getting their IPs from the primary router via wireless. It will depend on how the network is setup, and individual device settings. If wired, there's no need for wireless on a device, so can't hurt to disable the wireless on it.

N.B. Beware of double NAT.

Solution
If you converted the secondary router from a routed config (its WAN patched to the primary router's LAN) into a bridged config (its LAN patched to the primary router's LAN), I hope you disabled the DHCP server on that secondary router as well. Because if you didn't, there's a very good chance the wired devices on that secondary router will end up configured by its DHCP server, which is incorrect. You want them configured by the DHCP server of the primary router.