Connecting wireless network to wired network

nkatawazi

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
Hey people,

I have a bit of a problem with home networking that i need some assistance with. Before i continue to describe my problem i'll tell you my computer configurations

Laptop (wireless and wired)
-gains access to internet through wireless node
-uses Vista home premium 64 bit service pack 1

Computer (wired only)
-Currently has Windows XP Professional SP2

What I would like to do is use the connection that I get to the internet from my wireless and act as sort of a gateway also for my desktop to get internet by connecting the two through a wired connection. I also have a Cisco wireless N router (model WRT160N V2) that may or may not be able to act as an access point i dont know. The router that I gain internet through cannot be wired too so the computer needs to gain internet somehow without using any wired connection from that router to the desktop.

Advice please =D anyone know how to set up some sort of network to get the desktop to have internet?

G

Try Windows' own Internet Connection Sharing -- though a problem may arise between XP and Vista, of course.

The basic way ICS works is you connect one computer to the internet and then link the second computer to the first (usually via ethernet).

Beware that if you, later, stop using ICS the TCP/IP networking settings will need to reset to find IP address and DNS server automatically.

nkatawazi

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
figured it out, found the perfect site for me ill post it for anybody elses reference

http://www.lytebyte.com/2007/02/21/how-to-share-one-internet-connection-with-another-computer-using-vista/

TRENDING THREADS