Question connecting wirless router to a (wirless laptop)

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
I forgot my Password to my Wi-Fi so I had to do a full reset. I was able to connect to the browser with 192.168.1.1

I could see that my Wi-Fi Name and password has gone back to the default settings. I find that I can open another tab on the browser and surf the internet. How is this possible? I am on windows 11. I would need to change the name an password on the laptop to agree. Under Windows 11, there is no forget button where you have to type in the password.

According to the pop up window on the task bar, I am connected to my wi-fi with the original Talk Talk name and Talk Talk password.

Also my tablet is happy but my mobile phone is not. It requires a password.

Last edited:

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
Windows 10 on my laptop remembers the SSID and password of numerous hotels I've visited on holiday, plus those of family and friends. When I return, provided the password or SSID haven't changed, my laptop logs straight back in without any prompts. It's perfectly normal behaviour.

Obviously your computer has remembered the original TalkTalk SSID and password, from the time before you changed the defaults, which is why you can still browse the internet after re-setting the WiFi router. Unless you tell Windows to "forget" a particular WiFi system, it will remember its settings for years.

If you want to see what SSIDs and passwords are stored in your computer, download Nirsoft's Wireless Key View program.
https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wireless_key.html

N.B. Some antivirus programs consider Wireless Key View as dodgy, because it performs similar actions to some malware programs. If you're suspicious, upload it to VirusTotal.com before installing.

Last edited:
Reactions: PaulDesmond