Connecting

ceeandles2

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012
Hello,
I need help with internet sharing...I live in a medium size five floor walkup building. I want to share my internet connection with my bestfriend who lives in the same building as me. I live on the third floor in the black and she's on the fifth floor in the front. I just brought a new D-Link 601 wireless router N but the signal does't reach her apartment. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Unless you can find some location where the wireless signal can be reached w/ reasonable signal strength, there's not much hope given the equipment you now have. Even if that location is not ideal, you could place a repeater there and return your wireless router to its normal location.

Perhaps a more powerful point to point wireless bridge might work. It would cost a few bucks ($100-200) and require a LOS (line of sight) path between say a window in your apartment and hers. And then run a wire at each end your respective wireless APs.

A lot just depends on what opportunities are available to get as few obstacles between your respective apartments. It may be none, or it may be something you haven’t noticed yet.

I suppose it may be possible to use powerline adapters, although it really depends on the wiring of the building, and whether the lines from your apartment to hers are actually shared. You’d want to be sure they had good security to prevent eavesdropping and unauthorized access to your network. Assuming it worked, you could just add a wireless AP to the powerline adapter in her apartment.

Of course, you need to realize that she would have access to the rest of your network unless you specifically took measures to prevent it. She too would be opening the door to having her traffic eavesdropped on by you unless she took measures to prevent it. So I hope you truly are best friends! :)

ceeandles2

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012
Thank you very much for your suggestions. they sound good but I'm not willing to invest too much money and I wanted something simple. I didn't research my plans enough to realize it's anything but simple. Thanks again:)