[SOLVED] Connection between my router and isp

Forfex

Prominent
Oct 7, 2021
Hi, I had a question about what happens between my router and the isp, specifically regarding the data link layer (at least I think it is this one, I'm not really an expert, jut curious). So when I send data from my computer in my lan to the outside internet, this data is divived into packets which are put into ethernet frames. These frames are then sent to my default gateway and forwarded to the isp's routers. Now my question is: in what kind of frames are these packets put after they leave my router?

Solution
You have to be very careful what you are asking.

The connection between your router and device that actually carries data out your house (many times called a modem) has ethernet interfaces so it will run ethernet frames.

This is far different question that asking what runs on the connection past the "modem" going to the ISP. That greatly depends on the technology being used. I mean it can be anything from ATM to many types of different fiber protocols it can even be stuff like LTE if it is a wireless broadband connection.

kanewolf

Titan
Hi, I had a question about what happens between my router and the isp, specifically regarding the data link layer (at least I think it is this one, I'm not really an expert, jut curious). So when I send data from my computer in my lan to the outside internet, this data is divived into packets which are put into ethernet frames. These frames are then sent to my default gateway and forwarded to the isp's routers. Now my question is: in what kind of frames are these packets put after they leave my router?
They are ethernet. They have been altered to have your public IP address in them rather than the LAN local address of your device. This is a function of the NAT processing in your router.

Reactions: Forfex
You have to be very careful what you are asking.

The connection between your router and device that actually carries data out your house (many times called a modem) has ethernet interfaces so it will run ethernet frames.

This is far different question that asking what runs on the connection past the "modem" going to the ISP. That greatly depends on the technology being used. I mean it can be anything from ATM to many types of different fiber protocols it can even be stuff like LTE if it is a wireless broadband connection.

Reactions: Forfex
Solution