Question Connection dropping only when playing an online game.

Feb 16, 2020
Ive been having a problem where sporadically i will lose connection or have some very extreme lag (that normally results in me getting disconnected, only when playing a game. It also only affects the one of my computers, as i dont experience this problem on any other computer i own. The weirdest part about this problem is that its tied to the opnline game, meaning when i start losing connection/lagging in game if im watching a youtube vid in the background it starts buffering or loading but if i alt f4 out of the game as soon as the lag starts, the video goes back to normal. Its as if whatever game im playing just crashes the connection for no reason.

The computer is custom built by me, it has this motherboard: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SVRZ2DX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s01?ie=UTF8&th=1
Im also using its built in wifi off the motherboard, i have tried updating its wifi driver but it says i have the latest, then i uninstalled it and when to an older driver and still had the same problem.
also i cant do a wired connection as im several rooms away from the modem and would have to do some crazy wiring/ drilling holes and running the cable through the attic and thats a nightmare.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Edit:
Computer Specs:

Motherboard:
Gigabyte X570 AORUS Ultra
Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 2080TI Overclocked 11G
RAM: (2x) HyperX Fury 16GB
Storage: WD_Black SN750 1TB NVMe
PSU: CORSAIR RMX Series, RM850x, 850 Watt, 80+ Gold Certified

All of these parts were purchased and built around December 20th 2019. They were all new parts.

This is my OS according to my windows system info:
Edition: Windows 10 Home
Version: 1909
OS Build: 18363.657

Im using a wireless 2.4 ghz connection

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
First: no need to pay or offer bounties. That is not the purpose of this Forum and no member should accept or solicit any such reward.

Second: Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Third: Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor (use both but only one at a time) to monitor system performance under different working conditions.

Idling, light work and browsing, watching videos, gaming, watching videos and gaming together.

Look for bottlenecks and what is causing the bottleneck.

Wireless: What frequency and channel are you using?

Reactions: ViperN95
Feb 16, 2020
First: no need to pay or offer bounties. That is not the purpose of this Forum and no member should accept or solicit any such reward.

Second: Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Third: Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor (use both but only one at a time) to monitor system performance under different working conditions.

Idling, light work and browsing, watching videos, gaming, watching videos and gaming together.

Look for bottlenecks and what is causing the bottleneck.

Wireless: What frequency and channel are you using?

Ok i updated my post.
Also I was looking at an app that i use for system monitoring when this happened once and the only thing it showed during the event is that my incoming and outgoing download and upload rate dropped to 0 if i remember correctly

Feb 16, 2020
Just for the record what app are you using for system monitoring?

When you watch Resource Monitor keep an eye on the Network tab parameters.

Watch for some process or network activity that appears and causes lagging and or drops.

I was using nzxts monitoring stuff but i had it happen again while i was watching task manager. All i saw happen was the game dropped mbps. I didnt see anything else spike or seem weird

Ralston18

Titan
It is good that you could see the drop in Task Manager.

Sort the columns in descending order (note the little arrows in the column header) and see if you can catch the process name(s) at the top of column when mbps drops. Watch all of the columns.

Resource Monitor may be a better choice because of the graphing. You may be able to forecast or anticipate a mbps drop (if there is a pattern) and likewise note the process involved.

Feb 16, 2020
I might not have seen an actually drop on further examination. ive switched to resource monitor now but so far today i cant recreate the lag ive been experiencing . once i do ill post a screenshot of resource monitor when the lag happens. For now, here is a screenshot of task manager when the lag happened last time yesterday. Maybe you can see something in it that i dont. Task manager youll see voicemeeter banana takes up some network but i have the same setup on my secondary pc and have no problems with it.