Connection dropping

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Hello,

I've got VPN remote access to our office and tend to just use remote desktop
to work on my PC there which uses a wireless card to connect to the internal
network. The problem I am having is that when I remote desktop to my PC and
logon the wireless network continually drops out but if I work directly on
the PC when in the office the wireless connection is fine.

I've checked all of the settings as per previous postings and KB articles
but can't put my finger on what the problem is. Any one came across this
problem before.

The pc is running XP Pro SP1 and the laptop is running XP Pro SP2.

Thanks for any help on this.

I'm not 100% clear if the problem is that the VPN connection drops or if it
is just the remote desktop session that terminates. Would you mind
expanding upon this point?

Is there an error message associated with the dropped Remote Desktop
connection?

Is the wireless adapter a Centrino B/G or A/B/G? If so, are you running
driver version 9.0.1.9 or later? If not what adapter and driver version is
this?

--
Jerry Peterson
Windows Network Services - Wireless

> Hello,
>
> I've got VPN remote access to our office and tend to just use remote
> desktop
> to work on my PC there which uses a wireless card to connect to the
> internal
> network. The problem I am having is that when I remote desktop to my PC
> and
> logon the wireless network continually drops out but if I work directly on
> the PC when in the office the wireless connection is fine.
>
> I've checked all of the settings as per previous postings and KB articles
> but can't put my finger on what the problem is. Any one came across this
> problem before.
>
> The pc is running XP Pro SP1 and the laptop is running XP Pro SP2.
>
> Thanks for any help on this.

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Hi Jerry,

The VPN connection stays up but the actual wireless connection on the pc
continually drops and reconnects.

The adapter is a dlink adapter and I have downloaded the latest drivers from
their website. I have tried the connection using both the dlink provided
software and the windows wireless software and everything works fine (i.e.
the wireless connection stays up) until you access the network via the vpn
and remote desktop to the PC.

The only message you get on the pc is the standard wireless connection not
available.

Please let me know if you require any additional information.

Thanks.

Steve

"Jerry Peterson[MSFT]" wrote:

> I'm not 100% clear if the problem is that the VPN connection drops or if it
> is just the remote desktop session that terminates. Would you mind
> expanding upon this point?
>
> Is there an error message associated with the dropped Remote Desktop
> connection?
>
> Is the wireless adapter a Centrino B/G or A/B/G? If so, are you running
> driver version 9.0.1.9 or later? If not what adapter and driver version is
> this?
>
> --
> Jerry Peterson
> Windows Network Services - Wireless

> "Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've got VPN remote access to our office and tend to just use remote
> > desktop
> > to work on my PC there which uses a wireless card to connect to the
> > internal
> > network. The problem I am having is that when I remote desktop to my PC
> > and
> > logon the wireless network continually drops out but if I work directly on
> > the PC when in the office the wireless connection is fine.
> >
> > I've checked all of the settings as per previous postings and KB articles
> > but can't put my finger on what the problem is. Any one came across this
> > problem before.
> >
> > The pc is running XP Pro SP1 and the laptop is running XP Pro SP2.
> >
> > Thanks for any help on this.

TRENDING THREADS